Newsletter

Get the Sport24 daily newsletter delivered to your Inbox!

Kerber confirms Olympic participation

2016-07-25 12:56

Rio - German world number two Angelique Kerber has confirmed that her Rio Olympic Games participation in August is not in danger despite being forced to pull out of the Bastad Open with an elbow injury last week.

Kerber, the 2016 Australian Open champion and Wimbledon finalist, is expected to be in action at the Rogers Cup in Montreal this week ahead of the Games which begins on August 5.

In an interview with the Sport-Informations-Dienst (SID), the 28-year-old said her arm was doing fine and she would be in Rio aiming to win a medal.

"My Olympic start is not in danger of my arm is doing better day by day, I'll treat myself intensively," Kerber said.

"I am looking forward immensely to Rio and really want to win a medal. To participate in the Olympic Games, has always been a childhood dream of mine."

What To Read Next

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.