Olympics 2012

Nadal targets 2016 ceremony

2012-07-22 16:09
Rafael Nadal (File)

Madrid - Tennis ace Rafael Nadal has set his sights on becoming Spain's flag-bearer at the 2016 Olympics after injury deprived him of the opportunity at the London Games.

The 26-year-old announced last week that he was pulling out of the London Olympics due to injury, meaning he would also miss out on the honour of carrying Spain's flag at the opening ceremony on Friday.

"It was the most difficult decision which I have taken in my career and possibly the saddest," he told Spanish public television on Sunday.

"It was a unique opportunity so obviously I am sad. My goal now is to continue to work hard to try to have another chance in Rio in 2016. I hope I will be prepared to compete there and have another opportunity to carry the flag."

Nadal, the gold-medal winner in Beijing four years ago, said he was pleased with the choice of basketball player Pau Gasol of the Los Angeles Lakers as his replacement to carry the Spanish flag.

"I think he is a fabulous representative of Spain. I think Pau is an example for society and for all athletes," he said.

"There is something special about Pau, I wish him the best and I hope he enjoys the experience a great deal."

Feliciano Lopez will replace Nadal in the singles while Marc Lopez will step in to partner Marcel Granollers in the doubles.

Nadal, the world No 3, won a record seventh French Open title last month but he crashed out in the second round at Wimbledon in a shock upset against Czech Lukas Rosol.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.