Beckham eyes Olympic role
London - David Beckham has confirmed he will take part in Friday's Olympics
opening ceremony following his shock snub from Britain's football team,
it was reported Wednesday.
The 37-year-old former England captain
was quoted by several newspapers as saying that he has been granted an
unspecified role in Friday's extravaganza at the main Olympic stadium.
is some kind of role in the opening ceremony which I am honoured to be
involved in because obviously I was involved in the start process with
this seven years ago," said Beckham.
"And for Seb (Coe) to have kept me involved I'm very proud of that."
who played a key lobbying role during London's campaign for the Games
in 2005, has already ruled out any prospect of him lighting the Olympic
flame, saying the honour should go to an established Olympian.
former Manchester United and Real Madrid midfielder had been expected
to play for Britain's footballers before being surprisingly axed by
coach Stuart Pearce shortly before the Games.
Beckham, who now
plays for Los Angeles Galaxy in Major League Soccer, said he now plans
to travel back and forth between London and the United States during the
"I'll be going back and forward but I'll definitely be trying to get to a few events," said Beckham.