Other Sport

Olympic torch goes out briefly

2012-05-21 16:33
Olympic torch (File)

London - Organisers say the Olympic torch was briefly snuffed out during the relay leading up to the London 2012 Games.

The torch was attached on Monday morning to the side of Para-badminton player David Follett's wheelchair in the western England town of Great Torrington when the flame went out.

The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games said the flame went out due to a malfunctioning burner.

Such occurrences are fairly common and organisers keep a "mother flame" in a protective lantern just in case.

Follet, who uses a wheelchair after being injured in a car accident at 19, was given a replacement torch and the relay continued.

It is travelling 12 875km around the UK, with a stopover in Ireland.

Read more on:    olympics 2012

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

How excited are you about the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.