Wellington - The captain of New Zealand's men's netball team choked to death in a freak accident while eating his dinner, reports said Wednesday.
Mike Siave collapsed in front of his wife Amanda on Friday as he was eating a meal at his Christchurch home, the New Zealand Herald reported.
It said paramedics failed to revive the 35-year-old and a coroner's report found he died of asphyxiation caused by a food blockage in his throat.
Amanda Siave said she and her two sons were still coming to terms with the bizarre death.
"He was fit and young. We just can't understand it," she told the Herald. "I can't believe it's real. It's such a tragic accident."
New Zealand men's netball association president David Pala'amo said Siave's teammates were "beside themselves" with grief.
"He was one of the best captains we've ever had," Pala'amo told the Christchurch Press newspaper.
"He had lots of respect from all the players. He looked after the young players coming through. He was a genuinely friendly person that looked after everybody."