Mayweather suffering in jail
Las Vegas - Floyd Mayweather's attorneys have filed an emergency request for him to be placed under house arrest.
They say he may never box again unless he can spend the remainder of his jail sentence for domestic battery at home.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported on Tuesday that Mayweather's lawyers had filed an emergency motion asking that the 35-year-old boxer spend the rest of his sentence under house arrest after just 12 days behind bars.
Lawyer Richard Wright claims Mayweather's physical conditioning is suffering under the stress of "inhumane conditions" at the Clark County Detention Centre.
"Any lengthy period of time with an inappropriate diet, coupled with lack of regular exercise, will most likely lead to irreversible damage to Mayweather's physique," Mayweather’s personal doctor, Robert Voy, said in the motion.
"Such damage could and, most likely, would lead to Mayweather being unable to continue his boxing career."
Mayweather was sentenced to 90 days in jail after pleading guilty to beating his former girlfriend as their children watched in September 2010. After a delay so he could fight last month, Mayweather began his sentence on June 1.
Reports are that Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa will decide by Thursday whether to ease Mayweather's jail conditions.
Mayweather has been kept apart from the general prison population. The authorities say they want to protect him from other prisoners.
This has kept him confined to his cell for 23 hours a day in a locked-down area.
Wright said jail officials had indicated he would remain in isolation until his scheduled release date of August 3.
Mayweather is alone and unable to use training facilities in the one hour of each day he is allowed to spend in a recreation area, the lawyers claim.
"Whether Mr Mayweather will be able to box again is dependent on his continued conditioning," they say in the motion.
Wright claims there is different treatment for others who committed similar offenses and because Mayweather is a celebrity he "cannot be accommodated" at the Clark County Detention Centre.
Mayweather's home is a mansion that the newspaper said has a closet larger than his jail cell.
The undefeated fighter’s co-manager, Leonard Ellerbe, and Voy claim in the 35-page motion it would threaten Mayweather's career if he remains in jail. They say he planned to fight for at least two more years.
Voy examined Mayweather last Friday and found he was eating less than 800 calories a day, mostly fruit, bread and energy bars, rather than the 3 000 to 4 000 he would consume in a normal daily training routine.
"After examining Mr Mayweather, Dr Voy was concerned with Mr Mayweather's dehydrated appearance, his lack of muscle tone and his dry mucus membranes," the motion said.
Voy worried Mayweather could be withdrawing into depression and develop anger issues that he normally copes with through his exercise regimen.
"He believes he is treated in a very unfair and inhumane way," Voy said in the motion.
It is also claimed that isolation and lack of training "may cause, not just huge financial harm to Mayweather, but also huge emotional harm if he is no longer able to pursue his boxing career because of the de-conditioning he has suffered."
Mayweather improved to 43-0 with a victory by unanimous decision last month over Puerto Rican Miguel Cotto, one that assured Mayweather at least $32 million.
But Mayweather has yet to fight Filipino icon Manny Pacquiao in the bout most boxing fans have sought for several years while both men are at the peak of their skills.
Pacquiao suffered a controversial split-decision loss last weekend to unbeaten American Tim Bradley, setting up a rematch for later this year. It would push back a possible showdown between Pacquiao and Mayweather until at least 2013.