Other Sport

Mayweather makes plea deal

2011-12-21 08:22
Floyd Mayweather (File)

Las Vegas - Undefeated US boxing star Floyd Mayweather will plead guilty to reduced charges on Wednesday in a deal to end two pending criminal cases, the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported on Tuesday.

Mayweather faced up to 34 years in prison over a domestic violence incident and another charge of battery on a security guard in a dispute involving traffic tickets, but might serve only as little as two days behind bars.

Clark County district attorney David Roger told the newspaper that Mayweather will enter guilty pleas in Las Vegas Justice Court on one count of battery domestic violence and two counts of harassment, all misdemeanors.

Prosecutors retained the right to argue for sentencing under the deal and Mayweather could face $3 000 in fines and a minimum of two days in jail up to a maximum to 18 months behind bars.

Mayweather, 34, was set to have a preliminary hearing on Wednesday on felony charges that included coercion, grand larceny and robbery from a 2010 incident involving ex-girlfriend Josie Harris and their three children.

Mayweather, free on $31 000 bail from that incident, was accused of assaulting her after she told him she was dating another man, police said, and he reacted by striking Harris, threatening his children and taking their cell phones.

The misdemeanor battery charge Mayweather will face stems from striking Harris while the harassment charges come from the threats to his children.

Next week, Mayweather will plead no contest to a misdemeanor battery charge and pay a $1 000 fine for poking a security guard in November of last year over parking violations near his mansion in a gated community.

Mayweather, 42-0 with 26 knockouts, stopped fellow American Victor Ortiz in the fourth round last September to win the World Boxing Council welterweight title. He plans to fight again on May 5 in Las Vegas against an undecided foe.

Boxing fans have longed to see Mayweather test himself against the fighter many fans consider to have replaced him as the world pound-for-pound champion, Filipino icon Manny Pacquiao.

NEXT ON SPORT24X

UCI lifts ban on Rogers

2014-04-23 14:32

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
0 comments
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 
 
Featured Blog

The stock of Bulls and Sharks 2014 Super Rugby jerseys are slowly becoming available after the festive season break, writes blogger Baylion.

Latest blogs
Vote

How much of a runner are you?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

TV schedule Plan your couch time with our searchable sport TV guide

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.