Other Sport

Klitschko-Mormeck fight off

2011-12-05 16:20
Wladimir Klitschko (File)

Frankfurt - WBO, IBF and WBA heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko pulled out of his fight against French challenger Jean-Marc Mormeck on Monday after undergoing an operation to remove a kidney stone.

The fight had been scheduled for Saturday in Dusseldorf.

Klitschko's promoter, Bernd Boente, said on Monday that March 3 was a possible new date for the fight. The IBF would have to approve it because nominally Klitschko would be requested to fight a mandatory challenger on that date.

"We hope to know in two or three days. Mormeck is also ready to accept it," Boente said.

Klitschko had abdominal pain at his training camp in Austria on Friday. The 35-year-old Ukrainian was taken to Innsbruck for initial treatment before being transferred to a Dusseldorf hospital. The stone was removed on Saturday but Klitschko returned to the hospital on Sunday before a scheduled television appearance.

His older brother Vitali, the WBC champion, appeared on the live program and said Wladimir was taken ill shortly before the show and returned to the Dusseldorf hospital.

He declined to give any details.

The 39-year-old Mormeck is a former WBC and WBA unified cruiserweight champion. He has won all his fights since moving to the heavyweight division in 2009. He has a career record of 36 wins (22 KOs) and four defeats.

Saturday's fight was supposed to be Klitschko's 20th title bout and his first appearance since beating British boxer David Haye in July. His record is 56-3 with 49 KOs.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


30 of the world's greatest golfers will be heading to the Gary Player Country Club for this year's Nedbank Golf Challenge - now in its 35th year. For all the latest news, player profiles, hole-by-hole descriptions and past winners, be sure to check out Sport24's dedicated section.

Latest blogs

How much of a runner are you?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.