Other Sport

Jeffreys Bay axed from tour

2012-02-24 11:20
Gold Coast – It is comparable to tennis losing Wimbledon from its schedule. Or the US Masters being stripped of its status as a golf major.

The Association of Surfing Professionals announced on Friday that one of the jewels in its crown, the Billabong Pro Jeffreys Bay in South Africa, will not be part of the world championship race this year.

The contest has been downgraded due to the financial difficulties of the Billabong company. The Australian surf-wear company announced earlier this month it was cutting jobs and shutting shops.

The event will be run as a six-star contest, the level below the main tour.

The loss of a marquee part of the tour increases the likelihood that world champion Kelly Slater will retire from fulltime competition, sooner rather than later. Jeffreys Bay was one of his favourite stops on tour.

In a statement released by the ASP, Billabong said: "The change in event status follows a broader review in which we are seeking to identify cost savings throughout the business. By retaining an event at Jeffreys Bay, it now provides two qualifying events back to back in the South African region.

"The move to an ASP six-Star also opens the event up to South Africa's aspiring pro surfers for the first time in 20 years and ensures continuity of the event for the local businesses in Jeffreys Bay."

The scheduling change means the men's world title will be held over 10 contests instead of 11.

"We agreed as a board that whilst very regrettable, the commercial realities are such that a pragmatic approach by ASP at this time seemed sensible," said ASP chairman Richard Grellman.

"Billabong have been long-time supporters of professional surfing and still sponsor three of the 10 world championship tour events and we look forward to our deep relationship with them continuing."

Slater is contesting the season-opening Quiksilver Pro on the Gold Coast. First-round heats of the men's contest, and the Roxy Pro for women, are scheduled to begin tomorrow.

American Lisa Andersen, the women's world champion from 1994 to 1997, failed to make the main draw after being eliminated in the first round of the trials on Friday. The mother of two was attempting a comeback at the age of 42.



Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
  • Blitz
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @00:00
  • SS1
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @01:00
  • SS2
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @02:00
  • SS3
    Mon, 24 Nov 2014 @03:00
Video Highlights
Sport Talk
Most Read


Rugby World Cup 2015

All the action from the 2015 RWC, including live coverage of all 48 matches, breaking news, fixtures, results, logs - and much more!


Rugby World Cup 2015

As it happened: New Zealand 47-9 Tonga
Fourie: Boks can't be in a better position
All Blacks' deficiencies in the spotlight
All Blacks batter brave Tonga
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


Take a photographical trip down memory lane and remind yourself of how the Springboks fared in their five previous Rugby World Cup campaigns. In addition, pick your all-time Springbok Rugby World Cup Dream Team and you could win R3 000!

Latest blogs

How much of a runner are you?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.