Johannesburg - Will the power of the dollar lure Floyd “Money” Mayweather out of retirement to consider a rematch against his archrival, Manny “Pacman” Pacquiao?
Mayweather claimed an unanimous points victory to add the World Boxing Organisation (WBO) welterweight belt to his title collection when the pair fought at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in May last year.
He hung up gloves three months ago with an unblemished 49-0 record after beating Andre Berto at the same venue.
Money quit after matching erstwhile heavyweight king Rocky Marciano’s enviable CV.
But Pacquiao’s unanimous points victory over Jessie Vargas to win the WBO diadem at Thomas & Mack Centre in Las Vegas last Saturday seems to have jolted Money into considering an encore with his Filipino archrival.
He was at ringside during the fight.
Top promoter Bob Arum told Mail Online this week that Pacman’s potential match-up with Money was “75%” certain to happen.
The American impresario, who looks after Pacquiao’s interests, has added fuel to the fire by saying a return bout is probable, despite admitting that he is yet to speak to Money’s camp.
“I give it 75%. Do I know it’s gonna happen? Do I know if Floyd wants the fight? No,” Arum said.
It will be interesting to see if the duo will do it for the second time. But with more dollars likely to be poured into the fight, boxing fans could be in for another mega bout.
The two boxers’ first meeting took five years to arrange before they finally met in the square jungle.