Other Sport

Edgar wants answers on UFC title shot

2016-01-05 21:48
Frankie Edgar (supplied)

Cape Town - It was on December 11 that former lightweight champion, Frankie Edgar, secured himself the “next shot” at at the featherweight title when he knocked out fellow contender Chad Mendes.

Even the UFC brass promised Edgar the title shot, or so he thought.

The very next night Conor McGregor was crowned the undisputed featherweight champion after his 13 second K.O. of long time champ Jose Aldo.

Edgar was supposed to enter the cage to make his challenge official but was stopped from entering after his manager and one of Lorenzo Fertitta’s (UFC CEO) assistants were about to escort Edgar into the Octagon.

Appearing on Monday’s edition of The MMA Hour, ‘The Answer’ addressed what happened on the night, how he feels and what his future holds. 

“I thought they wanted me to go into the cage. And then as i’m about to walk in Dana was walking out, he said, ‘you’re not going in there, Conor’s going up, blah blah blah, we might give Aldo a rematch, we don’t know.’ I just kind of… I’ve never been, i mean granted Conor put himself in a position to be in charge, but i’ve never been there. Usually i do what they ask me.”

In the aftermath of UFC 194 it was revealed that McGregor would possibly move up to 155-pounds to take on the winner of the lightweight title fight between Rafael dos Anjos and Donald Cerrone which took place a week later in Orlando Florida.

McGregor had stated he wanted to hold simultaneous titles (145 & 155), like he previously did in his stint with Cage Warriors.

Now for Edgar it seems as though the promise that he would be next is being withdrawn and has openly stated he is “pissed” and suspects he will again be overlooked for a title shot.

“For sure i’m pissed. I’ve been at it for a while now, i’ve knocking on the door for this title shot for a while. It started with Cub. If Cub beat me he was promised a title shot. I beat him, i finished him in pretty dominating fashion and no, i’m not even considered for that title shot. I take it in stride. I do everything in stride, i really do think i’m a company man, but it’s not really panning out for me being that way.”

The last time Edgar spoke to Dana White and Lorenzo Fertitta was on December 12, the night McGregor beat Aldo.

Now, weeks later Edgar states he knows nothing more than he did then. If McGregor does go up to the 155-pound division, there is not much Frankie can do about it.

“What am i going to do, scream and shout? What can i do? Dana and Lorenzo, they know what i want man. People are like, ‘you need to call them.’ They f*cking know what i want. What, am i going to bother them? For what? For them to say no? So they can promise me something one day and and say no the next? Come on.”

Edgar (20-4-1) has gone 5-1 since dropping down to the featherweight division in 2013. His only divisional loss is to the former Champion Jose Aldo, in what some say was a fight that Edgar won.

Now 2-years and 3 finishes later 34-year old Edgar is on the brink of yet another title fight and seems as though he will let nothing stop his next fight be for the gold.

Read more on:    ufc  |  mma

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

How excited are you about the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.