Other Sport

Rahman brothers sue Floyd

2014-10-18 07:53
Floyd Mayweather (File)

Los Angeles - Unbeaten world champion Floyd Mayweather is being sued by two boxing brothers involved in sparring sessions shown in a television reality show, according to court documents.

The documents posted online by Las Vegas television station KTNV show that Sharif Rahman and his older brother Hasim Rahman jnr are suing Mayweather, his fledgling promotional company and cable telecaster Showtime over the TV show designed to promote Mayweather's last fight against Marcos Maidana.

The brothers - sons of former heavyweight world champion Hasim Rahman - claim battery, false imprisonment and negligent hiring and supervision, and say they never consented to be included in the "All Access" shows telecast by Showtime prior to the September 13 Maidana bout.

The lawsuit, filed Thursday in Clark County District Court in Las Vegas, claims that Mayweather forced 18-year-old Sharif Rahman to spar against Britain's Donovan Cameron for several rounds lasting five to seven minutes each, and that when Rahman asked for shorter rounds the request was denied.

When he tried to leave the ring, Mayweather "responded by telling Mr. Cameron and others that if Sharif left the ring to beat his ass outside the ring," the plaintiffs claim. "Sharif feared for his safety and was forced to continue to fight."

Hasim Rahman jnr, arriving later at the gym, then fought Cameron in a session that lasted 31 minutes without a break, with Mayweather and others betting on the outcome.

The "All Access" programs had already caught the attention of Nevada boxing authorities.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission called Mayweather, who was licensed as a promoter in the state earlier this year, to explain what appeared to be potentially unsafe practices.

They voiced concern about the apparent 31-minute sparring session, but Mayweather told the commission that neither the fights nor the betting were real - just as "All Access" scenes that showed people smoking marijuana at his home were staged to portray a "lifestyle" that would drum up sales for the pay-per-view Maidana fight.

The commission accepted that explanation and no further action was taken.

"Defendant Mayweather knowingly misrepresented facts while testifying before the Nevada State Athletic Commission," according to the lawsuit, in which the Rahman brothers are seeking punitive damages.

Neither of the Rahman brothers has fought professionally, although Hasim Rahman jnr is scheduled to make his pro debut on November 13.

Read more on:    floyd mayweather  |  boxing

Italy's Rosa joins Team Sky

2016-10-27 17:29

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

How excited are you about the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.