Other Sport

Movie-man Mayweather lashes critics

2015-09-03 07:44
Floyd Mayweather Jr. (AFP)

Washington - Floyd Mayweather said on Wednesday that he is more likely to end up in movies than keep boxing, as he rounded on his critics ahead of what he insists will be his last fight.

The unbeaten pound-for-pound king takes on massive underdog Andre Berto on September 12 in Las Vegas in a welterweight world title showdown that has so far failed to capture the public imagination.

The brash American, 38, will make it 49-0 with victory - equaling the record of heavyweight legend Rocky Marciano - and has consistently said he will hang up his gloves afterwards. Few believe him.

In a conference call with reporters, Mayweather and Leonard Ellerbe, CEO of Mayweather Promotions, said there had been "significant" entertainment possibilities for the champion for when he calls it quits - including three "major" movie offers in the last week alone.

"I've been approached on numerous occasions (to act) but I'd rather be behind the scenes. I've had my time to shine," said Mayweather, reiterating Berto would be his last bout and he is having no second thoughts about giving up the fight game.

Boxing fans and pundits have hit out at the self-styled "Money" and "TBE" ("The Best Ever") Mayweather's choice of Berto (30-3), who has lost three of his last six fights and was cherry-picked ahead of more exciting -- and more dangerous - men.

"When you are in my shoes, they are always going to criticize, that comes with the territory," said Mayweather, the highest-earning sportsman in the world.

"I couldn't care less. Nobody is forced to watch. Watch if you want to watch, don't watch if you don't want to watch. Write about it if you want to write about it, if you don't want to write about it, don't."

The experts may have written off Berto, 31, but Mayweather insists he is taking his opponent seriously and says he is training harder for the rank outsider than he did for his so-called "fight of the century" against Manny Pacquiao earlier this year.

Mayweather extended his unbeaten run with a unanimous points decision over the Filipino in a disappointing bout.

Underestimating Berto, an aggressive fighter who is likely to be on the front foot against the defensively brilliant Mayweather, would be a dangerous mistake, said the champion.

"He has nothing to lose and when you have a guy that has nothing to lose, that makes him work that much harder," said Mayweather.

"He's got a chance to be the top guy in the sport when I'm through... anything can happen (in a fight) so I'm prepared and in top shape, as I'm sure he is.

"But I'm not going to overlook this guy."

Read more on:    floyd mayweather  |  boxing

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

How excited are you about the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.