I don't like Orton - attacker
Cape Town - The fan who attacked WWE star Randy Orton during an event at GrandWest Arena on Tuesday night says he just doesn't like the wrestler.
A fan in attendance took a video of the incident and uploaded it on YouTube. It shows Orton standing on the turn buckle, facing the crowd, when a man walks into the ring and strikes Orton from behind.
The ENCA website
identified the fan as Tsepho Sekhabi, a 20-year-old man from Johannesburg who said he had quit his job as an administrative clerk to catch the WWE's two nights in Cape Town. VIDEO: SA fan attacks Randy Orton
He admitted to planning the "hit" for a while.
“I just don’t like Randy Orton. This was an opportunity for me so I got up there and made a name for myself,” he said.
While the WWE website
reported that the extent of Orton’s injuries was unknown, Sekhabi did not escape unscathed.
He was reportedly bruised on his left cheek after he was caught by one of Orton’s kicks.
While it may be hard to determine if the event was staged or not, the WWE issued a statement suggesting the incident was not part of the planned events.
Police spokesperson Captain FC van Wyk confirmed that the fan would be arrested and charged. Van Wyk said the attacker had scaled the stage barrier and managed to slip past security before delivering the punch.
GrandWest’s general manager, Mervyn Naidoo, told the Cape Argus
that Sekhabi had been banned from the entertainment facility for five years.
Naidoo said the WWE had indicated it was speaking to police to lay charges against the man.
“Orton will be prepared to return to South Africa to attend the court case.”
GrandWest will work with the police by making surveillance footage of the incident available.