Cape Town - Speedo, the world’s number one swimwear brand, has embarked on a global campaign that is encouraging people to "Get Speedo Fit".
The "Get Speedo Fit" campaign is aimed at inspiring people to choose swimming as their primary form of exercise.
The programme is based on a US survey which found that swimming provides a better workout other exercise.
The survey found:
86% of people canvassed believe swimming provides a better workout than other exercise.
71% feel physically fitter after swimming than any other form of exercise.
73% believe it is the only sport which can be pursued for life.
76% said regular swimming results in a better body than any other exercise.
84% believe swimming is more fun than other exercise.
92% say swimming is a stress reliever.
Benefits of swimming:
1. Provides all the benefits of running but is low impact, reducing strain on joints and muscles.
2. Assists with toning, weight loss & is beneficial for the heart, lungs and muscles. It builds stamina, posture and flexibility.
3. Great cardiovascular properties and an excellent way to help lose weight. Swimming burns three calories a mile per pound of bodyweight.
4. Running at 12-minute-mile pace for one hour burns 450-700 calories. Swimming at moderate pace for the same time can burn up to 900 calories.
5. Pool swimming offers consistent conditions while runners experience varying wind speeds and direction and often difficult terrain or inclement weather.
6. Swimming benefits everyone – champions, novices, young, old, all shapes and sizes.
7. Due to buoyancy, swimming is perfect for those who may not be able to undertake land-based exercise due to injury or disability. Swimming works muscles without undue strain.
8. Swimming is also widely believed to be the perfect exercise for pregnant women as it keeps abdominal muscles strong, strengthening the back and does not place undue strain on baby.
9. Ideal for the elderly, providing relief from stiffness, high blood pressure, and discomfort.
10. Swimming also works wonders, mentally – a fantastic way to de-stress.
Get Speedo Fit is also aimed at helping swimmers improve their technique. It includes:
1. Speedo’s technique focused swim fitness collection;
2. Speedo IQ Fit and Biofuse technology goggles;
3. Key training aids.
Speedo women’s Pinnacle Kickback and men’s Pinnacle V Jammer are technologically advanced and designed to support a swimmer’s body position and help improve technique. Designed to offer stability while activating core muscles.
Great fitting goggles allow swimmers to concentrate on their stroke and breathing without leakage.
Speedo’s hero range of goggles feature either IQ Fit technology, comprising an innovative leak-free 3D seal and accurate adjustability, Biofuse technology, for super soft and flexible goggles that mould and adapt to the face, providing exceptional comfort or Fastskin3 Elite, a high-performance racing goggle worn by the world’s top swimmers.
Speedo offers a full selection of Training Aids to help improve strength, technique, fitness and speed. The aids are: kickboard, finger paddles, power paddles, centre snorkel, pullbuoy and fins.
To target specific areas of their body, each aid is focussed on the four key areas of Strength Endurance, Technique and Calorie Burning, effectively enabling users to swap the gym for the pool, and #GETSPEEDOFIT.
For more information on how to "Get Speedo Fit" go to speedo.co.za or follow @speedoSA on Twitter.