California - Peter Sagan survived a 10-cyclist crash to retain the overall lead Monday after the second stage of the Amgen Tour of California.
All of the fallen riders got up and returned to the race including Slovakia's Sagan who powered his way to the finish to win his second consecutive stage. The crash occurred 73 miles into the stage.
The stage took the starting field of 128 along the scenic California coastline.
Sagan was timed in the 117.1-mile road race from San Francisco in five hours and two minutes and now leads the eight-day competition by eight seconds over Aussie Heinrich Haussler.
Former Tour de France stage winner Haussler was second for the second straight day. He finished a half-dozen bike lengths back of Sagan. Leigh Howard was third.
Leading results of Monday's second stage of the Tour of California, a
117.1 mile (188.5 km) ride from San Francisco to Santa Cruz:
1. Peter Sagan (SVK/Liquigas) 5hrs, 02mins, 00secs
2. Heinrich Haussler (AUS) s.t.
3. Leigh Howard (AUS) s.t.
4. Koen De Kort (NED) s.t.
5. Freddy Rodriguez (USA) s.t.
6. Greg Van Avermaet (BEL) s.t.
7. Lawson Craddock (USA) s.t.
8. Marc De Maar (NED) s.t.
9. Tom Dumoulin (NED) s.t.
10. Peter Velits (SVK) s.t.
1. Peter Sagan (SVK/Liquigas) in 9hrs 44:15.
2. Heinrich Haussler (AUS) at 08.
3. Leigh Howard (AUS) 13.
4. Jeffry Louder (USA) 14.
5. Freddy Rodriguez (USA) 16.
6. Ben Jacques-Mayne (USA) 16.
7. Marc De Maar (NED) 17.
8. Markel Irizar Aranburu (ESP) 19.
9. Joshua Atkins (NZL) 19.
10. Greg Van Avermaet (BEL) 20.