Rasmussen: I will fight on

2010-04-29 11:32

Copenhagen - Denmark's Michael Rasmussen has not given up hopes of competing in the 2010 edition of the Tour de France, he said in an interview to be aired Thursday evening by Danish broadcaster TV2.

The Danish cyclist is eligible to enter the Tour de France this year after a two-year ban. He was kicked out of the 2007 Tour de France while leading the race over lying about his whereabouts in connection with doping tests.

"If (American) Lance Armstrong can go around and hope to win the Tour de France this summer, then I don't see why I shouldn't allow myself that hope," Rasmussen told TV2.

Earlier this year, Rasmussen signed a one-year contract with Italian team Miche that however is not one of the teams invited to this year's edition of the epic cycling race.

Rasmussen also indicated that he believes he can continue his career for another three years at top level and has no plans to quit.

"No I don't want to - since I have enormous passion for what I do, and since I still believe that I can be one of the world's best again. And until I have exhausted all the possibilities, then I will fight on," he added.