International Cycling

Porte pulls out of Tour de Romandie

2016-04-28 13:34
Richie Porte (Getty Images)

Moudon - Australian Richie Porte was forced to withdraw from the Tour de Romandie on Thursday after suffering with stomach problems.

The BMC man picked up the virus overnight after Wednesday's truncated first stage.

"He has developed some gastro-intestinal problems and a fever overnight," explained his BMC team doctor Dario Spinelli.

"He is showing signs of a virus and has lost his appetite."

After the prologue and first stage, Porte was 37 seconds behind surprise overall leader Ion Izagirre of Spain.

"Of course it's disappointing to stop, but I trust the doctors," said Porte.

The 31-year-old has had a stop-start season so far since joining American outfit BMC from Team Sky, finishing second on the Tour Down Under and third in the Paris-Nice.

Read more on:    tour de romandie  |  richie porte  |  cycling

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

Live Video Streaming
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

Besides the 'Big 3' of rugby, cricket and soccer, which of the 'smaller' sports in South Africa do you enjoy the most?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.