Goss wins Tour of Oman stage
Al Wuttaya - Australian Matthew Goss of the HTC-Highroad team won the second stage of the Tour of Oman on Wednesday taking the leader's red jersey from Dutchman Theo Boss.
Goss won a sprint finish ahead of Italy's Daniele Bennati and Norway's Edvald Boasson Hagen following a stage which included the first significant climb of the event.
However the three kilometre climb some 60km from the line caused some problems for many of the sprint specialists including Belgian Tom Boonen, American Taylor Phinney, Britain's Mark Cavendish and Norway's world champion Thor Hushovd.
"I got stuck in. I've felt very good since the start of the season thanks to the training I did in Australia and then the kilometres notched up in the Tour Down Under where I already felt very good," said 24-year-old Goss, who is four seconds ahead of Bennati in the overall standings with Boasson Hagen six seconds off the pace.
"I'm in form but Oman is only my first race this year and maybe I still lack preparation compared to the other riders," added the 22-year-old Norwegian.
Thursday's third stage cover 208km around Sur.
Second stage results:
1. Matthew Goss (AUS/HTC) 3hr 18min 17sec (average: 42.212 km/h)
2. Daniele Bannati (ITA) s.t.
3. Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) s.t.
4. Greg Van Avermaet (BEL) s.t.
5. Danilo Hondo (GER) s.t.
6. Oscar Gatto (ITA) s.t.
7. Luca Paolini (ITA) s.t.
8. Lars Boom (NED) s.t.
9. Simon Clarke (AUS) at 3sec
10. Grega Bole (SLO) 3
120. Theo Bos (NED) at 10min 34sec
1. Matthew Goss (AUS/HTC) 6hr 56min 36sec
2. Daniele Bannati (ITA) at 4sec
3. Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) 6
4. Pieter Serry (BEL) 7
5. Tanel Kangert (EST) 9
6. Danilo Hondo (GER) 10
7. Luca Paolini (ITA) 10
8. Greg Van Avermaet (BEL) 10
9. Lars Boom (NED) 10
10. Patrick Sinkewitz (GER) 10
Read News24’s Comments Policy