Cycling

Contador vows to fight ban

2011-01-28 18:09
Alberto Contador (File)

Puigpunyent - Tour de France champion Alberto Contador plans to appeal against the provisional one-year ban handed down to him by the Spanish cycling federation (RFEC) for failing a doping test.

"I do not agree with the (RFEC's preliminary) resolution at all," an emotional Contador told a news conference on Friday, adding that he had no plans to retire from cycling as he had threatened to do if he was punished.

"You have to remember this is just a proposal and I will work as hard as I can to change it," he said.

"But if that does not happen I'll appeal wherever I need to to defend my innocence to the last."

The 28-year-old Spaniard has 10 days to appeal the federation's initial decision to ban him for a year, communicated to the rider on Wednesday, before a final verdict is reached.

The triple Tour winner also faces being stripped of his 2010 title.

Asked whether he planned to follow through on his threat to quit, Contador said the situation had changed.

"Now it's pretty different. A lot of time has past. My emotions have changed and I have felt the huge support of my team," he said.

"But more than anything I have also felt the great support of the fans who have told me not to give up cycling. Now I have changed my mind."

Contador has the possibility of taking the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), although RFEC president Juan Carlos Castano has warned that might be counterproductive.

He has been suspended provisionally since August after testing positive for a small amount of the banned anabolic agent clenbuterol during last year's Tour.

He has denied deliberate wrongdoing, saying the failed test was due to contaminated meat. He also criticised the testing regime, saying on Friday it needed updating or there would be more cases of innocent athletes being punished.

He said he was not thinking about this year's Tour and was focusing on trying to clear his name.

"For now I am only thinking about finding a solution to this case," he said.

"Of course, to be at the start of the next Tour is something that motivates me a lot. But it's not something that is too important for me right now."

Read more on:    alberto contador
NEXT ON SPORT24X

Ulissi suspended again

2014-09-16 21:36

 

Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
1 comment
Add your comment
Comment 0 characters remaining
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

 

New GIF keyboard on iOS for added fun!

Soon sending an LOL! or facepalm will be so much more fun!

 
 

For chic geeks...

Puppy goes crazy over iPad game
Printable solar panels will bring exciting new opportunities!
Now there’s a special lane for texting while walking
LOL! 7 brutally honest texts from parents
 
 
Men
Women
Love 2 Meet
English Premiership flutter

Take Sport24's "expert" tips at your peril...

Featured Blog

Dave ask if you would like to meet your local sports heroes and stand the chance to win prizes to the value of over R40 000.

Latest blogs
Vote

Besides the 'Big 3' of rugby, cricket and soccer, which of the 'smaller' sports in South Africa do you enjoy the most?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

Newsletters Sign up for the Morning Glory, Super 15 and Soccer newsletters

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

Mobile Sport24 on your mobile phone - WAP, alerts, downloads, services

Forum Have your Say on Sport24's brand new Forum!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

iPhone Latest Sport24 news on your iPhone

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

Blogs Yes your opinion counts. Get it out there

 
There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.