Cervere - World champion Mark Cavendish won the 13th stage of the Giro d'Italia in a sprint finish Friday as Joaquin Rodriguez retained the overall lead.
It was the third stage win of the year for Cavendish, who finished in a time of 3 hours, 2 minutes and 7 seconds on the shortest leg of the race, a 121-kilometer (75-mile) ride from Savona to Cervere.
The Briton appeared boxed in on the approach to the line but managed to squeeze past former teammate Matt Goss for the win.
Alexander Kristoff was second and Mark Renshaw third. Goss had looked on course for victory but set off too early leaving the Australian sixth.
The race moves to the Alps next, with the 14th stage covering 205km from Cherasco to Cervinia.
Results:1. Mark Cavendish, Britain, Sky Procycling, 3 hours, 2 minutes, 7 seconds.
2. Alexander Kristoff, Norway, Katusha, same time.
3. Mark Renshaw, Australia, Rabobank, same time.
4. Sacha Modolo, Italy, Colnago-CSF Inox, same time.
5. Elia Favilli, Italy, Farnese Vini, same time.
6. Matthew Goss, Australia, GreenEdge, same time.
7. Arnaud Demare, France, FDJ-Big Mat, same time.
8. Lucas Sebastian Haedo, Argentina,Saxo Bank, same time.
9. Sonny Colbrelli, Italy, Colnago-CSF Inox, same time.
10. Manuel Belletti, Italy, AG2R La Mondiale, same time.
(After 13 of 21 stages)
1. Joaquin Rodriguez, Spain, Katusha, 54 hours, 21 minutes, 15 seconds.
2. Ryder Hesjedal, Canada, Garmin-Barracuda, 17 seconds behind.
3. Sandy Casar, France, FDJ-Big Mat, :26.
4. Paolo Tiralongo, Italy, Astana, :32.
5. Ivan Santaromita, Italy, BMC Racing, :49.
6. Roman Kreuziger, Czech Republic, Astana, :52.
7. Benat Intxausti, Spain, Movistar, same time.
8. Ivan Basso, Italy, Liquigas, :57.
9. Damiano Caruso, Italy, Liquigas, 1:02.
10. Dario Cataldo, Italy, Omega Pharma, 1:03.
13. Michele Scarponi, Italy, Lampre, 1:11.
14. Domenico Pozzovivo, Italy, Colnago, 1:12.
16. Damiano Cunego, Italy, Lampre, 1:37.
25. Frank Schleck, Luxembourg, RadioShack-Nissan, 2:11.