Mesaieed - British sprint king Mark Cavendish won the third stage of the Tour of Qatar on Tuesday, claiming the contested finish on the 143km stage between Al Wakra and Mesaieed.
The 2011 world road race champion fended off competition from Dutchman Markus Barry and Lithuania's Addis Kruopis for his second victory since joining Omega Pharma-Quick Step from Team Sky in the close-season.
American Brent Bookwalter, winner of the race's opening stage, preserved his overall six-second lead ahead of compatriot Taylor Phinney.
Cavendish, boosted by a 13-second time bonus after also taking the day's first intermediate sprint, climbed to fourth in the general classification, eight seconds behind Bookwalter, and just one behind fellow Briton Adam Blythe.
Wednesday's 160km fourth stage will take the cyclists from the Camel Race Track to Al Khor Corniche.
Tour of Qatar results after Tuesday's third stage:
1. Mark Cavendish (GBR/Omega Pharma), 143 km in 3hr 5min 14sec
2. Markus Barry (NED) same time
3. Aidis Kruopis (LTU) s.t.
4. Nacer Bouhanni (FRA) s.t.
5. Heinrich Haussler (AUS) s.t.
6. Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) s.t.
7. Roger Kluge (GER) s.t.
8. John Degenkolb (GER) s.t.
9. Filippo Fortin (ITA) s.t.
10. Geoffrey Soupe (FRA) s.t.
1. Brent Bookwalter (USA/BMC), 302 km in 6hr 49min 58sec
2. Taylor Phinney (USA) at 6sec
3. Adam Blythe (GBR) 7
4. Mark Cavendish (GBR) 8
5. Greg Van Avermaet (BEL) 10
6. Michael Schar (SUI) s.t.
7. Bernhard Eisel (AUT) 11
8. Mathew Hayman (AUS) 12
9. Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) 14
10. Geraint Thomas (GBR) 15