Other Sport

Climbers quit after brawl

2013-04-30 12:11
Everest (File)
Kathmandu - A trio of European climbers involved in a high-altitude brawl with Nepalese guides on Mount Everest have cancelled their trip and are to return from the Himalayas, climbing sources said on Tuesday.

Famed mountaineers Ueli Steck of Switzerland and Simone Moro of Italy, accompanied by British alpine photographer Jonathan Griffith, claimed they were attacked by an "out-of-control mob" on Saturday.

An American eyewitness said the Europeans had ignored a request from Nepalese guides to wait during their ascent, and dislodged ice that hit the Sherpas below, sparking a "terrifying" clash at 6 500 metres.

"The three are planning to return to Kathmandu on Wednesday," Mingma Sherpa of Cho-Oyu Trekking, the company that organised the Europeans' expedition, said, adding they would likely travel by helicopter.

Moro told PlanetMountain, a mountaineering website, that the "violence killed our climbing dream".

"We also received an official apology from all the Sherpa," Moro told the website, adding that hundreds of summit hopefuls camped on the mountain were all "shocked and aware" of the violence that took place.

A mediation meeting between the European climbers and the Sherpas concluded successfully on Monday afternoon, according to a Nepalese government official.

An agreement signed by over a dozen foreign and Nepalese climbers at the meeting said the parties "commit not to go into conflict or use violence" and that such violence has no place in mountaineering.

Moro had been attempting to scale the 8 848 metre mountain for the fifth time by a new "undisclosed" route without supplementary oxygen.

In a statement released on Monday, the Italian said it was "highly unlikely" that any ice had fallen and hit the Nepalese Sherpas as a result of his team's manouevres.

Punches flew in the thin mountain air and a gang of furious Nepalese pelted stones at the Europeans' tents in the Camp Two stopping point, according to the eyewitness and trekking sources.

"A small group of Westerners acted as a buffer between the out of control mob and the climbers, and they owe their lives to these brave and selfless people," said Moro's statement.

"The (European) climbers were told that by that night one of them would be dead and the other two they would see to later."

Liz Hawley, an American journalist and renowned Everest historian, said that violent incidents on Everest were "very, very rare".

Read more on:    everest

What To Read Next


Read News24’s Comments Policy

24.com publishes all comments posted on articles provided that they adhere to our Comments Policy. Should you wish to report a comment for editorial review, please do so by clicking the 'Report Comment' button to the right of each comment.

Comment on this story
Comments have been closed for this article.
Live Video Streaming
Video Highlights
Sport Talk

Live scoring

Love 2 Meet
Sport24 on Twitter

Follow Sport24 news on Twitter


With the Absa Premiership in full swing, who will be crowned champions when all is said and done? Will Mamelodi Sundowns defend their title? Or can Kaizer Chiefs, Orlando Pirates or Bidvest Wits mount a serious challenge? Stay glued to Sport24 to find out!

Latest blogs

How excited are you about the upcoming Olympic Games in Rio?

Twitter Follow Sport24 on Twitter

Facebook "Like" Sport24's Facebook page

WIN Enter and win with Sport24!

BlackBerry Stay in the loop on your BlackBerry

RSS Feeds Sport news delivered really simply.

There are new stories on the homepage. Click here to see them.