Boxing SA suspends Mtya
Johannesburg - Boxing South Africa's acting chief executive Loyiso Mtya has been suspended by the national controlling body, according to a Sowetan
BSA board chairperson Peter Ngatane on Monday would not confirm or deny Mtya's suspension. The reasons for his suspension is baffling.
Ngatane said: "There are discussions with Sport and Recreation Minister Fikile Mbalula and I will comment after I have spoken to him."
Mtya, who has been at the helm since May 2009, confirmed his suspension to Sowetan
"Yes, it is true that I have been suspended," said Mtya, who was appointed after the resignation of Bongani Khumalo, who had been in office from June 2007.
"Peter and Solly Selebi came to the office and gave me a letter of suspension on Monday, but that is all I can share with you for now because the matter is still under investigation."
Mtya was initially appointed spokesperson of BSA but he later became director of operations and successfully drove BSA's Baby Champs, a four-round development programme, which unearthed hidden talents around the country. Mtya, who hails from Mdantsane in East London, is a former professional boxer, commentator, promoter, trainer and manager.
The former Cape provincial and South African junior middleweight champion was unsuccessful in his two attempts to add the Cape light heavyweight belt to his collection. He lost twice to Prince Tukane.
Mtya retired after the second fight against Tukane on March 27 1982. He chalked up 17 wins (four KOs) against seven losses and two draws.
One of his many bright stars is Khulile Makeba, who reigned supreme as the South Africa mini flyweight champion, chalking up six defences.