Boxing SA boss a convict
Johannesburg - Boxing SA chief executive Moffat Qithi has a criminal record and also quit his previous job after being found guilty of dishonesty, the Johannesburg High Court heard on Wednesday, according to the Sowetanlive website
Qithi was testifying in the defamation case against himself and BSA by promoter Branco Milenkovic. Milenkovic alleges he was unfairly blamed for world champion Noni
Tenge being stripped of her IBF welterweight crown in July 2012.
Under cross-examination by Laurance Hodes SC, Qithi admitted that he
had three previous convictions - possession of stolen property in 1995,
driving under the influence in 2006 and drinking in public in 2011.
He is currently facing a charge of driving under the influence last year.
When Hodes asked him if he had disclosed his criminal record when
applying for the BSA job in 2011 - the Boxing Act says the chief
executive officer cannot have been convicted of any offence involving
dishonesty - Qithi replied he had asked the police to check his record
and they had told him it was no longer there.
"We are told that these things lapse after time," Qithi said, adding
later that the act stated that it was BSA which must appoint a suitable
chief executive officer.
For gorgeous gifts at gorgeous prices, click here for the ultimate Christmas gift guide from Clicks.