Paris - French triple jump star Teddy Tamgho has been banned for six months, with a further six suspended, over an altercation at a training camp in October, the French Athletics Federation (FFA) announced on Tuesday.
The suspension runs until May 18, meaning that Tamgho, who is the world and European indoor champion, will be able to compete at the Olympic Games in London.
He had already decided to skip the indoor season, which takes place during the first half of the year.
In addition, Tamgho has been given a three-year probationary period and ordered to pay a 1 500 euros fine. He will also have to undertake 50 hours of community service.
"I made a regrettable mistake," said Tamgho, before the FFA's decision was announced. "I'll make sure it doesn't happen again.
"Whatever the decision is, I will respect it and I'll accept the punishment."
Tamgho later said that he was "relieved" to learn that he would not miss the Olympics.
The indoor world record holder (17.92m) appeared before the FFA's disciplinary committee over his role in an altercation with an amateur athlete and two other people during a training session in the Var department on France's south-east coast.
The three other people involved all filed complaints for assault.
Tamgho, 22, was in the area to pursue his recovery from a right ankle injury that prevented him from competing in the world championships in Daegu, South Korea in August and September.
According to FFA spokesperson Adrian Verdugo, interviewed by AFP, "the facts were proven" and Tamgho "partially accepted" them.
The FFA's disciplinary committee said the incident had "tarnished the image of the federation" and that Tamgho had displayed a "a lack of self-control" by reacting with "a disproportionate response".
Tamgho had previously been excluded from France's elite INSEP training institution for a year for disciplinary reasons in 2008.
He announced in November that he would prepare for the Olympics in Florida, alongside his Cuban coach Ivan Pedroso, the former Olympic long jump champion.