Games security 'foolproof'
Sydney - Security plans around October's Commonwealth Games in New Delhi will be "foolproof" and potential threats had already been identified and thwarted, senior games officials told Australian athletes on Tuesday.
T.S.Darbari, joint director general of the organising committee of the Commonwealth Games, reassured Australian athletes about games security after bomb blasts injured at least 10 people outside an Indian Premier League cricket match in Bangalore on Saturday.
Darbari, who is leading an Indian delegation to Australia, accompanying the Baton Relay, rejected suggestions competitors' family members and supporters will be at risk outside protection perimeters which will surround games venues.
"Delhi is very, very safe (and) secure, not only for the sports people who are coming but also for their families and for the tourists," Darbari told the Australian Associated Press.
He said security precautions for the Oct. 3-14 games were unprecedented.
"I know what the plan is that is being formulated, I can't share the details, but let me tell you it is foolproof," he was quoted as saying.
D.R. Kaarthikeyan, former director of India's Central Bureau Investigation and a security adviser to the organizing committee, said security agencies had already thwarted potential terror attacks but kept the details confidential.
"So many are being rounded up, so many have been detected," Kaarthikeyan said. "But then they will not be discussed in public. What have been prevented, what have been planned and the stage of plotting itself, that does not come out."
Security around the games would be intense and highly visible, Kaarthikeyan said.
"They feel more assured when they see a lot of policemen around and gunmen around, because we cannot take chances," he said.