Chuene set to hear his fate
Johannesburg - The fate of Athletics South Africa (ASA) president Leonard Chuene and two other suspended board members will soon be decided, with a disciplinary committee expected to reveal its findings later this week.
Chuene, vice-president Kakata Maponyane and Simon Dlamini failed to appear for disciplinary hearings last week, but SASCOC is nonetheless expected to reveal the committee's findings to the newly elected ASA board within a couple of days.
ASA interim administrator Ray Mali, a SASCOC board member, said on Wednesday the Olympic governing body expected to hand control of athletics back to the federation once the results of the inquiry had been revealed.
"It will be a complete handover of the federation," Mali said.
"SASCOC will no longer be in control of ASA because the board has been democratically elected and we plan to give them back control of the sport.
"It could happen later this week, but that depends on the completion of the inquiry." SASCOC, in control of ASA for the last year, was fighting the suspended board members in court to oppose an interdict from their lawyers preventing the disciplinary hearings from going ahead.
According to a senior ASA employee, however, the case folded with the future of the federation now in the hands of the nine-member board, chaired by James Evans, elected in September.
“Chuene’s case cannot be concluded because SASCOC has no right or power over ASA staff, meaning that they acted inappropriately,” said the staffer, who would not be named.
The rest of Chuene’s executive, who were also suspended last year, have all resigned.
Meanwhile, suspended ASA general manager Molatelo Malehopo, who was escorted from the federation's head office by police last year, was set to return to work after winning round one of a case against SASCOC at the CCMA.
"Molatelo's case is pending at the CCMA and there is a possibility of him coming back to the office," said a senior ASA employee who would not be named.
SASCOC suspended the ASA board and three senior staffers last year for their bungling of the Caster Semenya gender debacle.
A forensic audit later uncovered financial mismanagement and misappropriation of funds.
Read News24’s Comments Policy