ASA official to face the music
Johannesburg - Suspended Athletics South Africa (ASA) general manager Molatelo Malehopo has been ordered to attend a SA Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee (SASCOC) hearing into the affairs of the troubled athletics federation.
Malehope took SASCOC to court earlier this week challenging its jurisdiction to summons him to a hearing, arguing that he was not employed by SASCOC.
However, the court dismissed his case, ordered him to pay legal costs and ordered him make himself available for the hearing.
In November 2009 SASCOC suspended the ASA's board and several employees - including Malehopo - over the handling of the Caster Semenya saga. All the board members except ASA president Leonard Chuene, vice president Kakata Mopanyane and executive Simon Dlamini then resigned.
In February this year, a SASCOC disciplinary committee found Chuene, Mopanyane and Dlamini guilty of various charges.
It banned Chuene from all sport for seven years, Maponyane for five years and Dlamini for three years.
In October last year, Sascoc delayed Malehopo’s disciplinary hearing, reportedly so lawyers could add further charges.
SASCOC CEO Tubby Reddy said on Wednesday that court's latest decision had cleared the way for the hearing to continue.
"As always, we revert to due process and the hearing must take its course. Once again we have faced questions regarding SASCOC's jurisdiction and the court's decision makes our powers of jurisdiction very clear," he said.
"Malehopo must now make himself available for the next step of the hearing."