'Typo-gate' storm in a teacup
Dane Coles (Gallo Images)
Watch the Jet flying over Ellis Park prior to the Boks-All Blacks game.
Cape Town - Sport24 readers say the All Blacks' substitute mishap in their Rugby Championship Test at Ellis Park did NOT
influence the final result.
There was confusion when New Zealand brought on reserve hooker Dane Coles early in the second half of the Test - which the All Blacks won 38-27
Coles - who replaced Andrew Hore - had been playing for 20 minutes when it was brought to referee Nigel Owens' attention that Coles' names was not on the official team list handed in before kick-off.
Keven Mealamu was listed as the reserve hooker, but New Zealand's team manager Darren Shand informed Owens that he had made a typing error.
Owens then called a quick on-field discussion with Shand, De Villiers, All Black skipper Richie McCaw and Springbok team manager Ian Schwartz to shed more light on the issue.
After some deliberation, De Villiers insisted that the game continue with Coles staying on the field.
Hansen was quick to praise the Bok captain for his sportsmanship
This is what Sport24 readers had to say about the incident:"The program said Coles, the All Black press release said Coles, the All Black team announcement said Coles, and Coles played. No one tried to deceive anyone, or play a different player from what had been announced two days before. All that happened is the Manager filled out the sheet wrong."
- Lindsay Amner"Hardly cheating is it, all of NZ would rather have had Mealamu on instead of Coles."
- Caleb Drumm
"Unless the All Blacks put on Superman or Chuck Norris as a substitute, I cannot see how this is actual cheating. Did it change the course of the game? Was the substitute material in winning the game for the All Blacks? I don't think so. Neither did JdV, who's opinion counts the most on this matter."
- Brian Enslin"10/10 for Nigel Owens as well how he handled this situation and the rest of the match."
- Johan Venter
"In the context of the rugby spectacle, the typo was insignificant and JDVs diplomacy emphasized it perfectly."
- Sige Gorabeb"Such a good oke! Laughed myself when I read "De Villiers did, however, have a bit of a chuckle when he said points will be deducted from the All Blacks afterwards." Excellent Sportsmanship Jean!"
- Ronald Langeveld"Superb sportsmanship from Jean and SA once again. I really wonder if this would have been reciprocated had it been a different team making the error.......my honest guess I not. That said, hats off to jean add to the SA team management in general."
- Cdawg Dubya
"Jean is a sportsman, but what was the alternative? AB's forfeit the game? Replay the 20 minutes that Coles was on the field (and take away an All Black try in the process)? Never going to happen and rightly so."
- Paul Brady
"Dane Coles vs Keven Mealuma spelling mistake - funny keyboard they are using."
have US layout on my keyboard, maybe the NZ layout is totally different
and the manager was hungover while he was typing, blindfolded, with two
pencils stuck to his thumbs, in the dark."
"Coles..Mealamu...easy typo. NOT. But it made zero difference to the game & Jean handled it like a gentleman."
- Stephanie Whitaker"Just an honest mistake nd I take my hat off for Jean, he handled the situation like a true SPORTSMAN. U need an accolade Jean!"
- Sivivatu Rudeboy Rudolph"Yes, it may have had little to know affect to the game, and well done to Jean, but Cole shouldn't have been allowed on the field. In my opinion, anyway."
- Ryan Lee Sharp
"A total non issue."
- Steven RichesIf Dane Coles was Bismarck du Plessis it might have made a difference... (Gallo Images)
Read News24’s Comments Policy
Intimidation at its best
I've seen it in the Englishmen's eyes. I haven't seen it yet from the tourists from India. They...