Schreuder WHO? Fans aghast
Louis Schreuder (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - Sport24 readers have expressed shock at the inclusion of Louis Schreuder in the Springbok squad
for their End of Year tour.
Schreuder was one of four uncapped players - along with Scarra Ntubeni, Frans Malherbe
and Pieter-Steph du Toit - named on Monday in coach Heyneke Meyer's Springbok squad
, with Meyer also recalling stalwarts Bakkies Botha, Jaque Fourie and JP Pietersen.
Two former Springboks, captain Wynand Claassen and scrumhalf Werner Swanepoel, both recently expressed serious reservations
with the Meyer's choice, after the Stormers and WP scrumhalf was totally overshadowed by his opposite number Charl McLeod in the Currie Cup final.
Claassen couldn't understand how Schreuder cracked the nod ahead of McLeod, while Swanepoel would rather have opted for Cobus Reinach
(Sharks) or Piet van Zyl (Cheetahs).
Others couldn't understand why French Top 14 player of the year, Rory Kockott, was not selected.
Although Schreuder enjoyed a fairly successful Currie Cup campaign, his weekly alternating with team-mate Nic Groom, coupled with his poor form in the final had several Sport24 readers concerned.
This is what Sport24 readers had to say about the scrumhalf's selection:"Meyer just doesnt want Top 14 player of the year Rory Kockott to outshine Ruan Pienaar. At least Schreuder will make Pienaar look good."
- Kevin Robarts"I am 'n big WP fan, but this make no sense, Schreuder is does not even crack the Top 5 scrummies that played Currie Cup."
- PJ Vermeulen"I'm a WP man, and I must admit, McLeod is the better scrummie."
- Joe Ma
"I think the chances that he will actually wear the green and gold is highly unlikely."
- Bootman WPguy "It's clear that Screwder lacks BMT."
- Stephen Trenam"Where is Kockott? Been oustanding in defense, kicking, attack,
passes ...Named top 14 player of the year ...What did Schreuder achieve?"
- Leonard Lightman"WTF !!!! Schreuder ???? Bloody Joke !!!"
- Sean Wolf"Schreuder started the rot against the Sharks. As a WP supporter I would
never have selected him. There must be at least 3 - 5 equal to or better
than him: Jano, McCloud, Pretorius ..."
- Herman Burger"Congrats to all the players selected. BUT Schreuder really? I don't think he is up to S15 level never mind Test level."
- Joe Massa"He's hands down by far the worst scrumhalf in the country."
- Chris Swart "Only a day ago, Coetzee was saying he was looking for a No 9 that could add an X-factor to his team!"
- Terry Bailey"HM probably picked Schreuder to divert attention from the fact that he picked Kirchner again! LOL."
- Heather SteelLouis Schreuder had a bit of a shocker in the Currie Cup final. (Gallo Images)
HAVE YOUR SAY:
Your thoughts on the latest Springbok
team? Who was unluckiest - and most fortunate - to get the axe or be
selected? Your stance on SARU continued selection of overseas-based
players? Send your thoughts to Sport24