Saddened fans wish Joost well
Joost van der Westhuizen (Getty Images)
Cape Town - Sport24 readers have united in support of Joost van der Westhuizen after the former Springbok revealed he is on his deathbed.
The 42-year-old was diagnosed with the deadly Motor Neuron Disease (MND) in 2011 and has steadily deteriorated ever since.
"I realise every day could be my last," he told the BBC Sport website
in a telephonic interview.
"It's been a rollercoaster from day one and I know I'm on a deathbed from now on.
had my highs and I have had my lows, but no more. I'm a firm believer
that there's a bigger purpose in my life and I am very positive, very
Since being diagnosed with MND, Van der Westhuizen has
set up the J9 Foundation which is a charity that raises awareness about
This is what Sport24 readers had to say about Joost:"So sad...best of luck Joost."
- Lionell Kemm"One thing that we can unite in is that we hope he gets soul salvation and his soul rests in peace."
- LK"He was one of the best in the 1995 rugby squad. He made South Africa proud. I will always remember his outstanding play in the 1995 World Cup. He shone on the field. God Bless you Joost."
- Jennifer Jonhston"I think Joost is the best Springbok of all times. Danie Gerber, Ray Mordt and a few others come close but Joost was the best in my opinion. A true winner."
- Chrono Man
"Joost jy is baie braaf. Jy het erken aan die hele wereld die foute wat gemaak is, as mens nie 'n fout maak in die lewe nie, hoe gaan 'n mens andersins leer. Ek het saam met jou en Amore eenkeer in 'n losie gekuier op Loftus en dit was 'n wonderlike aand gewees en ek wil vir jou alle sterkte toewens. Vir jou kinders is jy 'n hero!"
- Tersia Roux di Bruta"Baie dankie vir al die plesier wat jy my gegee het."
- Fritz Brits
"So sad.. One of the best the world had ever seen..."
- Jaycee Bezuidenhout"Incredibly sad indeed. My heart goes out to him. Sterkte!"
- Shelley Amalia van Niekerk"Love him or hate him, you have to have a little tear in your eye and a lump in your throat."
- Sheilan"Ons bid vir jou Joost!!! Jy is 'n HERO!!!"
- Gisela Werth Roux"Ai, Joost dis nie lekker om al die dinge te lees nie. Dis hartseer. Maar ons weet daar is n doel met als in die lewe. Weet net ons is en sal altyd lief wees vir jou. En jy sal altyd ons groot rugbyheld wees. Baie liefde."
- Sonja van der Merwe
"Terribly SAD my heart goes out to you and you family."
"You are LEGEND one of the greats rugby has ever had. Good luck never give up."
- Pietskiet Springbok
"Very sad, strength to you Joost, you were one of the very best."
- Martin Fourie"You may have had a short life but boy did it burn brightly. thanks for being your crazy self and go well."
- Brent"This is a great man. Great Rugby Player. Human like all of us. He is the
greatest scrum half South Africa has ever had and will ever have. You
are my heroe, Joost."
- Udzai Umwumumwe
"Watching him flatten Jono Lomu in the 1995 World Cup was my highlight of his illustrious career. May he find peace in the knowledge that he has a proud Nation standing behind him."
- Neville Loosemore"Joost you are a hero, a brave man facing down a horrible condition, you
not only excelled at rugby but as a human being you set a magnificant
example of how to deal with extreme adversity."
- OldNickJoost moved to tears by the support from fans during his visit when the Boks played at Loftus. (Gallo Images)
Read News24’s Comments Policy
Intimidation at its best
I've seen it in the Englishmen's eyes. I haven't seen it yet from the tourists from India. They...