SA rallies behind Semenya
Caster Semenya (AP Photo)
Cape Town - Sport24 readers were ecstatic after Caster Semenya's silver in the women's 800m at the 2012 London Olympics, and rallied behind her as she set her sights on gold in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.
GALLERY: Caster Semenya wins silver
Check out Sport24's Facebook page or send us a Tweet.
Visit our MySport24
page and email your views, pictures and videos and any sport-related
matter to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will hit the publish button!
Caster Semenya was delighted, with her silver medal, but has already set a target of a gold medal for the Rio Olympics in 2016, and at just 21-years-old the goal is well within her reach if she reaches her potential.
"I am happy with the silver ... the plan was to win the gold but I am happy because it is my first Olympics." said Semenya.
"Now, I just have to concentrate to win the next Olympics.
Caster Semenya later confessed
to having blown her first Olympic final by starting out too slowly, but most readers agreed that she had nothing to be sorry for, and said they were very proud of her silver medal.
Here's what Sport24 readers had to say about Semenya winning silver in London:"I felt she timed part of her race wrong, but she knows that too now. But there is NO shame in silver at the Olympic Games!"
- Charles Dumbwin"Well done Caster...a silver medal on Olympics debut is a great achievement."
- Cynthia Biljoen
"She ran her fastest time in this final. That means she ran faster than
in the semis. Some people are happy about her performance in the heats
and in the semis, but not happy about the final. She ran a season best to claim silver. What more can one ask of her?"
- SiyandaWalterMda"You did it all with dignity, despite what the haters of the world throw your way.... a true hero!"
- Lindatjie"What is wrong with some people? Any medal at the olympics is a massive achievement! Silver is fantastic!"
"Well done Caster. Being the second fastest in the world at the young age
of 21 years, is one hell of an achievement...and only 1.04 seconds
slower than the world champion. Keep on working hard and you will have
that gold medal in Rio and break the record too. Well done girl!"
- Sandra.Johnstone56"Could it be possible that Caster might be psychologically afraid of
coming first and going through what she went through the other time?"
- Lennon Chenga"Don't be too hard on yourself, young lady. You gave it your all and we are proud of you."
"Caster you may have won silver at the Olympics but you are still our golden girl...2016 here we come!"
"To come casually from the back and outclass the others at the end was a magnificient feat."
- Snagdee"She brings great dignity to her sport."
- Maria.Roth589"Mokoena was treated as a hero in the last Olympics as he won SA's only silver medal. Caster deserves the same treatment."
"You have put our country on the map, South Africa is very proud of you."
'Being so humble and honest shows a true strength of character that can be just as highly rated as your great performance."
- Sue BirkheadCaster Semenya has set her sights on gold in Rio (AP Photo)
Why Bayern is best
The Deloitte World Money Report ranks it as the third-richest club in the world but it virtually is...