Mixed feelings over Smit move
Cape Town - Stormers fans are split over how much value former Springbok captain John Smit could add to the Cape side in this year's Super Rugby campaign, should he be approached.Email Sport@news24.co.za and get published!
According to the Cape Times
, due to a hooker crisis at the Stormers, Smit's name was being bandied about
as a possible short-term solution to the Cape side's No 2 woes.
However, Stormers coach Allister Coetzee
has dismissed the reports
Smit was one of the hookers he was considering to help solve the injury crisis in the key position.
Here's what Sport24 readers had to say about John Smit's possible move:"Why not rope in James Dalton while you're at it? Lol!"
"OMG - this is the quickest way to a disaster. Hell, hope this remains a rumor. Last thing we need is fat Smit as a passenger in our beloved Stormers team!"
- wvandermerwe1"Telletubbie :-) Give him to the old age home."
- lielie.smit"I feel sorry for the young players who miss out on a place on the team because they bring in a fossil..."
"For those who crit John...have you seen him play lately? Have you seen the form he is in, and have you noted that a top14 French side wants his services?"
- Wesselv"I have seen the form he is in, it is called round."
"So out of the Entire Western Cape you cant find a proper Hooker?"
"There are a few proper hookers in Long Street, but I doubt if they have played rugby before."
- stirrer.stirrer"Please no, rather get another youngster from one of the varsity teams.He should retire, he is finished."
"Why why, why do my team always go back to the has-beens?"
- gerhard.smit.526"See how all the Sharks want it to be true. They should rather put him back in the sharks team. No he must not play Stormers. Past sell by date."
- Mandy Casey"I think the man deserves a little more respect."
- WR58"Not a bad choice for back-up hooker."
- stirrer.stirrer"He could only be an asset of the bench and you know he will give you 110%."
- andrie.rabie"Ask yourself this question: Stormers go to Loftus for 1st S15 game of the season. Only 1 of the 3 hookers in the squad is available...who do you want on the bench? 1) A 20 year old rookie with only Varsity Cup experience or 2) a 111 Bok capped world cup winning captain,that is doing so well in Europe that Toulon(the 'rock stars' of European rugby) are interested in him!"
"With his scrumming abillities, the fact that he is still one of, if not the best line out thrower in the world and it becomes pretty clear why the Stormers would want him! Imagine the tutoring role that he can play for players like Scarra, Kitsie and Malherbe...hell...maybe he can even teach Deon how to throw in to line-outs!"
"Who better to teach the rookies (Malherbe & Kitshoff) the ropes. Would be a great asset to the Stormers pack. Smit is also one of the best line-out throwers in the game."
- Elroy Felix
"My captain oh captain! Put Barnie in that awesome Stormers jersey! Tight
forwards start playing their best rugby in their 30's! The whole Cape can
learn from this legend!"
- Danie.Croezen14"Welcome back Smit ,the greatest Bok ever!"
- Tyronne Jardim
"A legend and all legends are welcome at the Storm factory!"
"Greatest Bok ever playing for the greatest side ever, that would be great."
- Sydney Luger Masalethulini"Province wouldn't know what to do with a player of Smit's calibre."
"Great stuff, experience wins matches."
- Tim the TankerAllister Coetzee has denied reports of a deal with John Smit. (Gallo Images)
From Paris with love
There is no question that the four Grand Slams produce an unrivalled level of excitement and...