Meyer draws fire from fans
Heyneke Meyer (Gallo Images)
Mendoza - Coach Heyneke Meyer is in the firing line after the Springboks' mediocre display in their 16-all
draw against Rugby Championship new boys, Argentina.Bok ratings: It's mostly grim!Check out Sport24's Facebook page or send us a Tweet.
Visit our MySport24
page and email your views, pictures and videos and any sport-related
matter to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will hit the publish button!
The Springboks put on hapless display against Argentina, who had lost their previous 14 matches against South Africa.
Here's what Sport24 readers had to say about the Springboks' performance against the Pumas in Argentina:"Massive thumbs down for a disjointed, disorganised, pitiful, flakey display."
"As long as we carry one with the Bulls type of rugby we will never win the world cup again."
- Piet Snygans
"I think HM should bring in D Vermeulen and H Brossow."
- Trevor Davey"The Boks need a coach with x-factor and HM certainly doesn't have that."
- Brett Katz
"I think this was a really pathetic effort by the boks. They seemed so slow, ponderous and fresh out of ideas. It seems like when a side really comes out with fire against the Boks, they just get flustered and confused, and there is no Plan B."
- Fred Murgatroyd"Its becoming painfully obvious and VERY embarrassing to see that we are living in the past, like something out of 'Jurassic Park'......The days of big - but slow ball carriers, kicking away the ball hoping the opposition makes a mistake is well and truly outdated."
- Max Schuman
"Notice all of the under-performers are all Blue Bulls. Looks like Meyer has Blue fever and a bit of nepotism."
- Zusman Sher
"What has got HM this far in his career as a coach will not be enough to take him further. In the same way as some brilliant super rugby players can't step up to international level some coaches may not be able to make the crossing. HM's statements in the line of 'there is nothing wrong with the game plan just the implementation' smacks of the obtuse."
- Ikwane"HM still doesn't have the right players in his team."
"With Bismarck out, Heyneke has to seriously start thinking of bringing back Heinrich Brussow."
- Francois de Wet
"Pieter de Villiers was a better coach."
- Mike Barnes-Webb
"Sadly, I had to agree with Nick Mallett's summary last night, that the Springboks didn't seem to have a plan A or B. We kicked so much ball away, our defense was without any structure at all, and our National Coach cannot see flaws in one of the weakest fly halves we have ever had..."
- Jerry Rowles
"We really have better players than the bunch that were on the field last night. Come on Heyneke, take of your Blue Bull cap and choose a team that can play rugby and inspire the nation!"
- Johan Fourie"Did they even have a gameplan?"
- Paddy Carolan
"Argentina played with passion, something that was totally absent from the Springboks."
- Johan Jooste
"Our two best coaches sit in the commentating studio of Supersport, and our best flanker/fetcher sit in the Free State having a braai on Test days because he is not deemed good enough.Our best scrumhalf sits on the bench."
- Braham van der Merwe"The Boks need a flyhalf who runs the game, backs and forwards who can offload to create space-we can not rely on brute strength anymore."
- CC"The Boks are going to get a hiding against the All Blacks if they dont change the game plan."
- Mario Labuscagne
"Mornè, yawn, has fully perfected the boring brain-dead kick-the-ball-away-and-hope-the-oposition-make-a-mistake game plan."
- Anton de Jong"Heyneke Meyer cannot be blamed. He is more than man enough to
accept responsibility. I believe our coach's track record, by taking the
Bulls from the bottom on the log, and making champions out them, speaks
for itself. Reality check guys! The Boks are not currently the best
- Jaco CombrinckMany thought that the Boks were in a different class to Argentina, but were proven wrong. (Gallo Images)
Read News24’s Comments Policy
The honeymoon is over
I’m fresh off the plane from a great time on honeymoon in Mauritius, and I’m ready to get back to...