Lions to win 'grudge' match
Luke Watson (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - Sport24 readers have backed an under-strength Lions team to beat the Kings in their 'grudge' warm-up match ahead of the 2013 Super Rugby season.
Have your say! Send your thoughts to Sport24
The Kings will play their first Super Rugby warm-up match against the Lions at
Ellis Park in Johannesburg on Saturday (14:15) in what is being billed
as a 'grudge match'.GALLERY: Kings in training
The Lions were relegated from Super Rugby last year, having finished bottom of the South African Conference, and were replaced in the competition by the Kings, leading to bad blood between the teams.
Yet, despite the Lions losing over 15 players on transfers and loans to other South African sides and teams overseas, the majority of Sport24 readers are still backing them to teach the Kings a rugby lesson.
Here's what Sport24 readers had to say:
"Lions will absolutely thrash them. No doubt."
- Quintin de Jager
"Definitely the LIONS - indirectly the Kings management
admit that it is totally premature to compete in the Super-15. There must be
clear evidence that they are competent. Their lack of experience will be their
biggest stumbling block - pity."
- Johan"The Kings haven't played a game yet and we are already hearing excuses. Go Lions go!"
- Charlo Viljoen"The Lions will win because they are playing the committed youngsters in their development structures. Kindly ask Cheeky about the Government funding he received to buy all the foreign players rather than play the youngsters in his provincial development structures.Go the Lions. Play rugby not politics."
- Willi"Of course the Lions should win the match by a mile. The Kings can offer players only a one year S15 contract. How can you call the playing fields of the two teams level? EP lost Jan Serfontein,JJ Engelbrecht,O Ndugane,Bjorn Basson, Jacques Potgieter,Dewald Potgieter,Ryno Gerber,Jano Vermaak and Stegman to the Bulls and R Kankowski and Keagan Daniels to the Sharks mention a few . Put six of them in the Kings team and let's talk again."
- Jannie"Lions to teach them a lesson..on merit."
- derrick.villiers"I actually hope the Kings do well - but I suspect they'll be thrashed by the Lions..."
- jeremy thorpe"On Saturday the Kings will feel the wrath of a VERY hungry point to prove Lions squad!"
- michael.demesmaker"Like it or not, Kings are in the Super 15...sour grapes won't change that."
"The Kings will suffer defeat after defeat. The Lions are going to hammer them. They are going to make SARU look like fools."
- louis.fourie.562Will Luke Watson's Kings silence their critics? (Gallo Images)
Read News24’s Comments Policy
Intimidation at its best
I've seen it in the Englishmen's eyes. I haven't seen it yet from the tourists from India. They...