In-Zane Meyer Ruan-ing Boks
Zane Kirchner (Gallo Images)
Watch an interview with Bok hooker Bismarck du Plessis on reaching 50 Test caps.
Cape Town - Sport24 readers have criticised the selection of Zane Kirchner and Ruan Pienaar
in Heyneke Meyer's Bok team to face the Wallabies in their Rugby Championship Test in Brisbane on Saturday.
Kick-off is at 12:05 SA time.GALLERY: 10 Bok games in Oz
VIDEO: Bismarck du Plessis' 50 Test caps
Kirchner was seen as the 'safety first' option by many readers after Willie le Roux appeared to show a slight vulnerability under the high ball against Argentina in Mendoza.
Although Kirchner executes the basics of fullback play well, readers have criticised his propensity to kick too many up-and-unders and suggested Le Roux and Patrick Lambie could offer more X-factor on attack.
Le Roux remains in the team, but has been shifted to wing, in what some considered a move by Meyer to 'shore up the defence' with the removal of Bjorn Basson.
Readers also strongly criticised the recall of Springbok scrumhalf Ruan Pienaar, who had a sub-par performance
This is what Sport24 readers had to say about the Springbok team to face the Wallabies:
"Meyer has no choice but to pick Kirchner as he has dropped Bjorn Basson."
- Harley"Lambie would have been the better option."
- Kevin Robarts
"9 & 15 sal die bokke se ondergang wees."
- Ruben Jacobs"Meyer's stuck in the past."
we gonna kick the ball the whole time, they are going to kill us, they
are a team made for running. Zane is good but predictable, so they will
expect him to kick."
- Jean Venter
"Guess we will be watching an up-and-under rugby game again."
- Ruan Smith"The thought of Pienaar and Kirchner both in the team! Oh no!"
"Obviously a safety 1st option...he is probably safer that Le Roux under the high ball...hope it does not backfire."
- Julius Malememba"Lambie deserves his opportunity, he is ready and hungry. Lambie offers much more than Zane."
- Stephan Trenam
"The solution to our problem in the backline is simple: Just drop Pienaar and replace him with Vermaak!"
- Blou Bloed"This coach has lost his mind, ZK has not even played in a while , why not try Lambie at the back instead."
- Tyronne Jardim"I think Willie on the wing is a much better option then Basson, who offers nothing but a good kick chase. As much as I am not a fan of Zane, his positional play is very good and if we going to kick he does have a better kicking game then Willie. Horses for courses."
- Jonathan Snyders
"Ruan Slowcoach Pienaar: weak Link"
- Tanweer Mansoor
"Doesn't Mr Meyer see that Pienaar takes too long to distribute the ball?"
- Jason Robin BennSpringbok fans expect a much improved performance from Ruan Pienaar (Gallo Images)HAVE YOUR SAY:
Send us your preferred Springbok XV to Sport24.
Read News24’s Comments Policy
Moyes must pass Toon test
A night of football, which has been described in one newspaper as ‘Wild Wednesday’, unfolded across...