Heyneke honeymoon is over
Heyneke Meyer (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - After Heyneke Meyer's start as Springbok coach, his admirers say patience is required, but critics say his time is running out...Check out Sport24's Facebook page or send us a Tweet.
Visit our MySport24
page and email your views, pictures and videos and any sport-related
matter to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will hit the publish button!
With four wins, two draws and three losses, Meyer has a fairly unimpressive win ratio of 44%, and he will have to improve considerably during the end-of-year tour if he wants to win over the doubters.
Meyer has been hindered by a young squad, injuries to key players and an inexplicable loss of form from several Springbok stalwarts, but the Springbok coach's methods, tactics and selections have come under fire.
Here's what Sport24 readers had to say about Meyer's Springbok reign to date:"It took him a while to build up the Bulls dynasty."
- spyker.oflanagan"It took some tweaking and tuning to get the Bulls into the team they were. It will be the same with the Boks."
- mack.myburgh"It's not how you start, it's how you finish."
- BlouMasjien1"Who won the race...the tortoise or the hare?"
- Theunis"Heyneke Meyer took the Bulls from the bottom of the Currie Cup and Super 14 logs and made them winners."
- Sean"Jake and Snor had the luxury of Bakkies, Victor, Fourie, Jacque and Juan, among others, Heyneke doesn't."
"Heyneke needs to go ASAP before its too late for the next world cup. When we get beaten by Ireland and England next month it should end his Springbok coaching career."
"There is enough talent in SA to choose from. I don`t think it is the players - it is Heyneke`s gameplan (or lack thereof), it is his choice of support staff."
"It's clear to me that our coaching staff don't have a clue about tactics. We don't even have a plan A let alone B. We have become stereotypical and predictable to all our opponents and this will be proven on our next tour."
- Andre Grobler
"Meyer will never succeed because he can't think outside the box."
- Sean Dalton"If he stopped picking favourites and playing players out of position he might have an easier time."
- louis.bensch1For how long will the public show patience in Heyneke Meyer? (Gallo Images)