Hey Heyneke, ignore Jake!
Jake White (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - Jake White says Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer should stick to his gameplan, but Sport24 readers disagree. They say the gameplan is in need of a major overhaul...GALLERY: Jake White interviewCheck out Sport24's Facebook page or send us a Tweet.
Visit our MySport24 page and email your views, pictures and videos and any sport-related matter to email@example.com and we will hit the publish button!
Meyer's kick-and-chase tactics have come under criticism after the Springboks' loss to the All Blacks, due to excessive kicking, despite a dominant display
by the forwards.
In a recent online poll, 43% of Sport24 readers blamed Heyneke Meyer's game plan for the Springboks' poor performance.
This is how our readers responded to our poll question: The No 1 reason the Boks lost their Rugby Championship match to the All Blacks was:
43% - Heyneke Meyer's tactics, team selection and use of substitutes
42% - Morne Steyn's kicking
6% - Dean Greyling's indiscipline
5% - New Zealand were simply too good
4% - Didn't watch, can't comment...
0% - The referee
Here is what Sport readers had to say about Jake White's advice:"Heyneke Meyer's game plan sucks. There is no pattern, the players seems confused and he must start picking the right men for the job."
"No leader/coach can be a "one trick pony". He has to be able to adapt to the environmental changes and era. If the rules in Rugby suddenly change does that mean we change the coach? Far from it, he would be expected to change his game plan. It begs the question as to how well Heyneke Meyer understands the rules of the modern game."
"Please let’s not believe anything Jake says . He was a good coach he won the World Cup but now he is working in Australia for and Australian side. 2 weeks ago he was giving Australia advice on how to beat the Boks."
- Flavio Scarpa"Advice is always a good thing but remember Jake White coached the Boks 5 years ago the game has changed since then..."
- antonswarts"Jake is helping HM from the pan into the fire. If your game plan is not a winning one, either you don't have the correct, players or support staff therefore you need to make changes."
- Godfrey Welman"Worst bit of advice I have ever heard from Jake White. Jake must be soundly converted to Australian and New Zealand rugby and citizenship to have said a thing like that."
- jeremy002"Hoekom het Jake nou sy storie verander?"
"The right cure is for SARU to realise what the modern game is about and to appoint the right coaching team to implement it."
"It is a boring and predictable game plan. But Jake is right Meyer's job is on the line and he must do whatever he believes is right..."
- jason.marriott.75"If you believe in a strategy stick to it, but if it does not work, do so at your own peril.I think South Africa needs a totally new and fresh outlook on the way we play rugby."
"Without ball possession you can't score a try/points. So if you kick possession away as per HM's game plan, you can't score points."
"White's strategy is to sit back and see the Boks self-destruct."
"I dont think Heyneke has a game plan."
"But if your game plan is not working and you are losing Test matches do you still stick to the same game plan?"
- Michael Kleber397"Jake didn't give advice. He merely gave the best diplomatic answer."
- GalacticThomasIs Jake White playing the devil's advocate? (Getty Images)
Read News24’s Comments Policy
Moyes must pass Toon test
A night of football, which has been described in one newspaper as ‘Wild Wednesday’, unfolded across...