Fans to target Nonu, Messam?
Messam, Nonu (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - All Blacks Ma'a Nonu and Liam Messam can expect a torrent of abuse at Ellis Park if Sport24 readers' comments are anything to go by...
The Springboks' last Rugby Championship match against the All Blacks at Eden Park in Auckland was marred by the sending off
of hooker Bismarck du
Plessis after he received a red card after collecting a second yellow for leading with an elbow which connected with Messam's throat.
Messam became a target of the fans' rage after some fans perceived that he exaggerated the extent of his injury.
Messam took to Twitter
following after the match after a torrent of abuse was allegedly directed at him by Springbok fans following the match."Thanks for the hate coming out of SA, it is what it is, Lesson learnt tackle low."
This response from the All Black prompted more abuse on social media platforms, with Bok fans clearly not fond of his views.
Some of the comments clearly upset Messam, who again took to Twitter
on Tuesday, asking rugby fans not to get too personal."Dear
SA supporters I understand your frustrations and I agree that the big
man was hard done by, he's a awesome player and one of the best.
"I can take all the s+*| coming my way, but there's no need to bring my son into this no need for that #haveagoodday,"
All Black centre Nonu, has also become public enemy number one following a cynical late, high, no-arm shoulder-charge
on Springbok captain Jean de Villiers, which earned him a yellow card - but, crucially, no citing.
Nonu was perceived as a serial offender in this regard and some viewed his punishment as overly lenient.
This is what Sport24 readers had to say about Nonu and Messam:
"I haven't seen what SA fans said about Messam son but that is totally uncalled for from the South African fans."
- Timothy Kruger"Hollywood is waiting for you. You were milking the situation. He's waiting for you at
- Hansie en Elmian Myburgh"@messam.... Go play soccer where B grade acting is enjoyed!"
- Piet Pompies
"Messam is right. There is no need for people to get personal. He is still a crybaby though."
- Adrian Snyman"Messam definitely deserves an Oscar."
- Jaycee Bezuidenhout
"I have no sympathy for Messam after the game and his subsequent tweet, however lets leave his son out of it."
- Ledzepkid Zn "The All Blacks are becoming soft. Every time one of their players gets
tackled or a little man handled (McCaw/Cooper) it is the end of the
world. It would never have happened in the 60's or 70's. Can you imagine
Pinetree Meads complaining."
- Andre Rabie"Tweeting is probably the only way Messam can speak now after receiving a Bismark elbow of destruction to the throat!"
- Keegan McGoldrick"Messam is really showing his true colours, a disgrace to the all blacks
and rugby. Diving is one thing but then rubbing it in the faces of fans
with a sneering remark is just to far. Lets hope that he can eat his
words in ellis park, unless he tries to pull off his football dives
- Luke Hill"The All Blacks get away with murder, always have."
- Norman Charles"How many times can Nonu tackle without arms before he gets properly banned, this guy tackles more without his arms than with."
- Silver Orange"Sir Bismarck please could you tackle banggat Nonu like you tackled the great Carter legally!"
- Pietskiet S"Nonu is 100 times filthier than Bakkies could ever dream of being. That's how dirty he is."
- Donovan Stanford"Also amazing that none of the cameras caught Nonu's retaliation? :)"
- Christopher Fisher"Nonu is not getting cited , what a load of Bs . He has 5 yellow cards
this year . That is more than the Bok team combined . pathetic , how
does NZ get away with this all the time . Surely something must be done
or why is the Shoulder charge not been referred in the first place."
- Tyronne JardimLiam Messam and Ma'a Nonu to receive a hostile reception at Ellis Park? (Getty Images)