Fans slam Hansie 'traitors'
Hansie Cronje (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - Sport24 readers say if cricketers Henry Williams and Herschelle Gibbs lied to the King Commission about the amounts Hansie Cronje offered them to commit match-fixing it's a damning indictment of their characters.Email
Sport@news24.co.za and get published!
According to the Sunday Times
, Williams claimed that he and Gibbs falsified amounts during their testimony, as part of a conspiracy, involving their lawyers, to make a stronger case against Cronje.
This is what Sport24 readers had to say about Williams' confession
:"Williams, you are a disgrace to SA cricket!"
- jacques.duplessis.3785"In general lawyers are scum that only have their own interests and careers at heart. I can believe these "King Commission" lawyers were only interested in what it would do to their own careers, by bringing somebody like Hansie down."
- pierre.devilliers.1921"We know that Hansie admitted wrongdoing, but in who's interest was it to destroy him?"
"Williams an Gibbs hopefully will suffer the shame of what they did for the rest of their lives. We all make mistakes, but doing this to a friend? They sold him out."
- alicia.myburgh.65"Williams lied about Hansie, Gibbs lied about Hansie, heck, I can guarantee you 10 000 people lied to protect folks still making a living out of cricket or still regarded as 'heroes'."
- morne.nortier.98"Shame on you Williams, but also well done for coming clean."
- danie.kok.1"All that might even be beyond dispute. But what's equally beyond dispute is that Hansie engaged in match-fixing. He confessed as such. Nothing changes that."
"What does it matter now. It's a few years to late. He was still guilty, he confessed. What's done is done."
"10 years too late. Worse now that Hansie is gone..."
- Lulu Shezi"Henry Williams may be planning on writing a book or something, hence this disclosure."
- Mohamad.Dada"Gibbs and Williams tried to save themselves by lying."
- S.P"How do we know that Williams is not lying NOW?"
- Charlie Reddy
"What really strikes me about this, is that he was likely Hansie's friend and to get off lightly (despite being guilty himself) stabbed his friend in the back."
"So this fellow just admitted to lying under oath. The real devils(s) made him do it."
- Louis.Hager.12"Lawyers and integrity just do not gel."
"Shame on you. It is too late to admit."
"This is despicable, Henry Williams and Herschelle Gibbs, everyone in the cricket community is utterly dissapointed in you... no we are embarassed. You stood there and watched as your team mate and friend took all the blame onto him, and not only did nothing to help, you lied to put him away."
"It is time to let Hansie rest in peace."
- Christopher.Douglas12914 Did Gibbs and Williams lie to save their own skins? (Tertius Pickard/Gallo Images)
Read News24’s Comments Policy
The last laugh
As the saying goes, no one remembers second place. It thus surely follows that not a damn would be...