Fans rage at EP's 'easy ride'
Luke Watson (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - The vast majority of Sport24 readers are incensed with the news of Eastern Province's automatic promotion to the Absa Currie Cup next year.
According to the Beeld website
the presidents of the country's 14 provincial unions have already voted
in favour of expanding the competition to eight teams from next year,
with SARU set to make an official announcement shortly.
The Kings and Pumas are believed to be the two teams that will be added to the current six-team competition.
The Pumas have already ensured they'll finish top of this year's Currie Cup First Division log
, while the Kings - who are currently in second spot - will be added to the Premier Division irrespective of where they finish.
Sport24 asked:"What do you think of the EP Kings being granted automatic promotion to the Currie Cup next year?"
These were the results:
73% - Shocking! They must earn the right like everyone else
27% - Fantastic! They deserve it after a brilliant Super Rugby season
This is what Sport24 readers had to say:"The only explanation I can think of is Oregan Hoskins made a sex tape with a stripper and Cheeky Watson is blackmailing him."
- Blou Bloed"To the Pumas, welcome to the Currie Cup. You guys have palyed hard and deserve to be their, not like the Kings that are just having everything given to them on a silver platter."
- Darryl Maze
"EP Kings. Get there on merit, not on hand outs!"
- Andre Rabie
"So the Watson saga is still not over. One good thing for us (Bulls fans) at least we wont have to play a relegation match if we end up last."
- Jaco Groenewald
"It's not enough the EP Kings are busy wrecking Super Rugby by forcing their way into that franchise, now they are doing the same to the Currie Cup."
- Vaughan"Very sad that we have to weaken the Currie Cup so that EP "politics" can join, they are not even the best in lower division yet make all the talk."
- Clive Wannenberg"I am from the eastern cape and I know there is strong rugby support down there, but that doesn't mean the team should just be given every thing, you have to work to get anywhere. It is wrong and unfair to other unions!"
- Anthony Kohn Scheepers"EP Kings get free access to an specially-extended Super Rugby and predictably end up stone last. Now they get free access to a specially-extended Currie Cup that they could not earn an entry to. So where will they end? Stone last. Obviously."
- Jon Louw"Only thing it is achieving is weakening the Currie Cup, it's already without its Test players it is now just a glorified Vodacom Cup. Sad day for SA Rugby."
- Jimmy Kuys"Good to have 8 teams again, but it should be on merit."
- Louis Bensch
Read News24’s Comments Policy