Fans gush over Du Preez form
Fourie du Preez (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - Sport24 readers have singled out Fourie du Preez for praise after the veteran Springbok scrumhalf thrilled against the Pumas.
The Rugby World Cup-winning No 9, making his first appearance for his country in almost two years, massively confirmed his pedigree as South Africa moved up a gear following his entry into the fray in the Rugby Championship match, part of the Nelson Mandela Sport and Culture Day at FNB Stadium.
Many were critical of Du Preez' surprise return
to the Bok set-up after he received an SOS from Heyneke Meyer, but the move appears to have been an inspired one.GALLERY: Top 10 Rugby bad boys
Although Du Preez only entered the field on the 54th minute, he had a significant impact from the bench as the Springboks scored five tries with him on the field. Du Preez scored a try himself and had a hand in several others as he showed his class.
Meyer had expressed concern
in the midweek about rushing back the Japan-based flyhalf into national duty, saying it would be unfair to expect the player to adjust so quickly to the fast-paced demands of Test rugby, however Du Preez seemed to reveal that he had not lost any of the skills that has made him one of the finest scrumhalves in Springbok have ever produced.
This is what Sport24 readers had to say about Du Preez' performance:"He was a tad "off" his game when he left for Japan but the "rest" has done some good!"
- Eugene Blommetjies"Fourie du Preez is one of world rugby's top scrumhalfs ever. To everyone who made negative remarks about him - own up and admit you made a mistake."
- Henk Hefer"Age is only a number! Fourie du Preez is the world's best no 9!"
- Johnny Johnson"Fourie has the potential to beat the All Blacks."
- Jaco Grobbelaar"Fourie is the dogs bollox. End off."
- Paul Botha"Fourie du Preez, the legend continues!"
- Andre Janse van Rensburg"FDP is just out of this world. He has wonderful vision for the game."
- Binne Goed"Good assessment there...Fourie was very good and deserve accolades, but by the time he came on the Pumas had thrown in the towel."
- Kobus Louwrens"I loved every minute of Du Preez's stint off the bench- Crisp, accurate, vision."
- Jean Michel Delvaux
"FDP, wish we had you around for the whole RC. He kept the continuity and intensity alive, he made it all that more convenient and smooth for our players out there."
- Stephen Trenam
"Du Preez is undoubtedly one of the best if not the best scrumhalf we've had of all time. Du Preez has everything you need in Rugby player, he's one of the reason we won the 2007 Rugby World Cup, he'll definitely play an important role again in 2015 World Cup."
- Phindile Zina"Best 9 I have ever seen. Better than Joost, and he was a legend. Well done, Fourie."
- Stephan Erasmus"Fourie Du Preez is the best Springbok SA ever produced!"
- Lourens CampherFourie du Preez is back to his best. (Gallo Images)HAVE YOUR SAY:
Do you think Fourie du Preez will be Boks' first-choice scrumhalf at the 2015 Rugby World Cup? Send your thoughts to Sport24