Fans back S15 survival scrap
Cheeky Watson (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - The Southern Kings may have gotten an easy ride into the Super Rugby, but Sport24 readers said that it was only fair that if they wanted to stay there, they had to earn it.Check out Sport24's Facebook page or send us a Tweet.
Visit our MySport24
page and email your views, pictures and videos and any sport-related
matter to email@example.com and we will hit the publish button!
SARU have proposed a promotion-relegation series to decide who will participate in Super Rugby from the 2014 season onwards until SANZAR negotiate a new broadcasting contract in at the end of 2015.
Cheeky Watson said he was unhappy that SARU has only guaranteed his team one season of Super Rugby.
"I think it is a ludicrous decision," he said.
"It doesn't make sense in rugby, not in business, not in the church."
"It doesn't make sense in any sector of society that you are sitting with a scenario that you are in Super Rugby for one year and expected to achieve."
But although most Sport24 readers agreed that the Lions deserved to be punished for their terrible run of form in Super Rugby, many felt that the Kings had not merited inclusion in the competition and should be subject to the same set of rules as the Lions if they fail to perform.
Here's what Sport24 readers had to say about the Kings' inclusion in Super Rugby:
"Ludicrous decision? Why are the Kings playing in the S15, that is ludicrous."
"I cannot believe Watson is not happy with this freebie, arrogant..."
"Remember the Kings have not earned this spot. It is a free pass. The Kings do not want to earn a spot. I say that the Lions challenge them to a sudden death playoff."
- Kevin"Having the Super Kings in Super 15 does not make sense in rugby or business.I don't want to disparage against the Eastern Cape, because I truly believe that rugby development in EVERY area is a good thing, but we all know that this has been done the wrong way...on the political playing field, and not on the rugby field. Work your way up, get the sponsorships, get the players, win the tournaments and promotion/relegation games, and make a success of your area. Don't take hand-outs and become and embarrassment to yourselves, your area, and SA rugby."
- Travie Grif
"His team can't even qualify for the premier league in the Currie Cup! The relegation match should be played now this year, let them prove themselves."
"With the hiding the Lions got the last Super Rugby season, they might as well disband and give the Southern Kings a chance."
- dawood.timol"At least PE will have full stadiums. The Lions have played so bad for so many years."
- done.louw "It's not in the interest of rugby that Lions should make place for weaker team."
"The Kings will be bottom of the log in 2013 out in 2014."
"Let's make it even easier for them - if they beat Griquas they can go up - already our bet is safe."
"Ridiculous. Never enough. Maybe move on up to the Currie Cup then you'd have a stance. At the moment like spoilt brats 'it's not enough I want more'."
- Unwelcome"Cheeky has to bring the church into this, because the Kings will have to pray non-stop not to lose a game by less than 30 points."
- sparkie.spannenberg"If you can't beat the poorest super rugby team, how are you going to beat any team in the competition? Cheeky already knows they will not be able to beat the Lions, which won the CC last year, when last did the Kings won anything? They can't even win promotion into the Currie Cup legitimately."
- jackson.mosedi"Every SA team has the same chance now. Just don't end up bottom of the SA
conference, and if you do, win your promotion/relegation match. Easy
- stirrer.stirrer"Cannot believe that Cheeky has the cheek to expect even more than the handout he's already been given."
- nads.delange"What if the Lions win the Currie Cup this year? What a mess!"
- Patrick Edwards
"The cheeky b*%$#r.... give 'em the pinky and they take the hand."
- schalk.niekerk"Look on the bright side, this will weaken the SA conference and guarantee 10 points for the other four South African teams, which will help with their overall log positions."
- bruce.dexter.5"I think Cheeky should thank his lucky stars that his team is not expected to deserve that one year spot by playing a relegation match this year."
- Melanie BronkhorstThe Southern Kings and their fans will be ecstatic to have made it into Super Rugby, but how long will they stay there? (Gallo Images)