Fans: SBW, Botha fight 'fixed'
SBW vs 'White Buffalo' (Getty Images)
See pics from the Sonny Bill Williams v Francois Botha fight.
Cape Town - South African sports fans have cried foul after the Sonny Bill Williams versus Francois Botha fight ended under controversial circumstances.Have your say! Send your thoughts to Sport24
A majority of Sport24 readers believed the fight was rigged after the fight was reduced by 2 rounds by the referee, just as Sonny Bill Williams appeared to be in serious trouble during the fight.GALLERY: Sonny Bill Williams v Francois BothaVIDEO: Sonny Bill Williams v Francois Botha - highlights
Cut short from the original 12 rounds to 10, Williams looked in control for most of the fight, with more of his punches making contact, however in the 10th round Williams looked to be in serious danger of being knocked out.Francois Botha was furious
with officials after the
decision was made to shorten the bout, with the 44-year-old looking to
have worn out Williams by the end of the 10th.
Botha's trainer, Hardy Mileham, was shocked to see the bout shortened - a decision that was seemingly made during the contest.
"The fight was scheduled for 12 rounds, and in round number 10 he (Williams) was in danger," Mileham said.
Here's what Sport24 readers had to say:"Why was it reduced...SBW was busy getting (beaten up) in the 9th that's why. What a joke."
- lionel.kemm.9"Agree, Botha had him in rounds 9 and 10 and pretty boy would not have lasted 11 rounds."
"This was a waste of time. Why even bother to schedule a boxing match if it was rigged before hand? Why reduce the rounds as soon as SBW is flat on his feet? Once again the bookies smile after paying off a couple of officials. It seems like it is not only doping that is currently big in Australia but match fixing as well! Australian sport and their officials are a disgrace."
- johannes.m.villiers"As I asked before the fight: " What are the chances of this fight NOT being fixed?"
"I agree that based on the 10 rounds fought, SBW won! However, it was supposed to be 12 round, and was reduced only when SBW started taking a few klaps!"
- grant.callaway"It was a sham, SBW is the worst heavyweight boxer I have seen. What a farce!"
- fanie.viljoen.73"Botha was robbed. He never was in trouble and he was pacing himself for 12 rounds. This is called "a home town decision". I do hope the boxing authorities will take the necessary action!"
- andre.van.deventer16"The fight was scheduled for 12 rounds and SBW was in deep trouble by round 9. The fact is it was rigged!"
"It was shocking. Rigged for sure. Remember how good the Aussies were at under-arm bowling when things weren't going well on the cricket pitch? Shameful."
"Was Bryce Lawrence reffing?"
- justin.m.wiles1 "Less hugging, more boxing Sonny."
"Duckworth-Lewis system in boxing? WTF!"
"SBW was scrumming more than he was punching. The ref should have deducted a further point during the last round. Botha tried really hard to box in the last two rounds but SBW kept on CROUCHing, TOUCHing, HOLDing but not ENGANGING..."
- Hansie Crook
"Even the commentators were baffled that the fight were shortened..."
"Stupid... this just proves one thing... SBW is no boxer..."
"Um Botha had SBW dancing and the the ref decided to change from 12 to 10 rounds... Everyone is flabbergasted... 1 more round and Botha would have sent him down... Plus the ref allowed clinching after warning SBW about 5 times..."
"Botha should ask for a re-match. I strongly believe this match was fixed to create more hype on SBW's boxing career and more mooola."
"The outcome was set-up. Botha should've gone out and finish the fight in
six rounds, but he decided to play games - talking, standing still to
get punched... Botha is as much a joke as SBW."
- Tiaan Libenberg Sonny Bill Williams keeps his undefeated record intact. (Getty Images)