Fans: Kings will embarrass SA
Luke Watson (Gallo Images)
Port Elizabeth - The Kings' recent loss to an under-strength Griquas team does not bode well for their Super Rugby prospects, Sport24 readers say.Have your say! Send your thoughts to Sport24
The Kings lost 30-27 to Griquas
in a Super Rugby warm-up match in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday night.
Griquas were playing with what was essentially their Vodacom Cup team after losing Willie Le Roux, Lourens Adriaanse, Ryno Barnes and Ligtoring Landman to the Cheetahs for the duration of the Super Rugby season.
The disappointing loss for the Kings follows their 41-31 defeat to an inexperienced Lions
outfit last weekend, also missing key players.
This is what Sport24 readers had to say about the result:"Even though it is a warm-up game, losing to a weaker team cannot be good
for their confidence. My advice to the Kings, pull out of this
competition NOW, you might even gain some support then. Such an
- Rene Muller
"This is just the motivation and wake-up call that the Kings might have needed."
- frankgerald"The damage done by Watson and cronies to rugby in EP and Gauteng and in
the whole of SA in general will take years to undo. Maybe the Hawks
should investigate if this is not a sinister plan hatched by the Aussies
- vickers.vermeulen "Not even Griquas strongest side!!! No Le Roux, Adriaanse, Barnes, J.P. Nel, Landman, Boshoff etc!"
- Karl Manthe"Against a depleted Griquas side! Piteous beyond despair!"
- BlouMasjien1"The Kings will be cannon fodder in the Super XV."
- Sean"I foresee a long and difficult seasons for the queens!"
- BM"Griquas should have been the team to replace the Lions in relegation."
- Piet Boerie"Maybe SARU should reconsider and put Griquas in the Super 15 in 2013 instead(LMAO)."
- S"OMG. This is gonna get ugly. I predict record scores this year."
- brenden.greef"This is why you still not in the Currie Cup, never mind S15."
"Its going to be an entertaining season watching them get hammered in a competition that's way out of their league."
- beetslaai"I will still never support an AU or NZ side above a ZA side - so, I still hope the Kings win against all overseas opposition..."
- Doomsayer"Don't know who is worse? The Kings that can't win a game or the Lions
that can't win a game. Either way its a lose lose situation."
"Kings are gonna be an embarrassment to South African Rugby in the
Super Rugby competition. As if there isn't enough that South Africa has
to be embarrassed about."
- wade.johnson58726"Most of Griquas first-choice players are with the Cheetahs now. Your S15 team lost against a Vodacom Cup team!"
- HendrikLosing to Griquas couldn't have been good for the Kings' confidence. (Gallo Images)
Read News24’s Comments Policy
Time to break it down
There is a common perception that if a team picks a top openside flank, the opposition will be in...