Sport24 Facebook banter
Cape Town - Sport24 readers comments from our Facebook page
on Victor Matfield's Bok return, SA's Olympic kit and the Stormers' first loss.
Meyer keen on Victor Matfield return
Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer is still keen on luring Victor Matfield out of retirement to captain the national team.
“MAAK AL DIE BULLE BOKKE!!!”
– Adriaan Basson
“Well Brad Thorn was 36 when he won a world cup!”
– Paul Botha
“Let's be fair here, the 3 test series against England is a headache for Meyer. He has no time to prepare the team, as it falls in the middle of the Super Rugby season without break. The guys selected will be at risk of burnout and/injury before the S15 play-offs, which might create friction with the franchise coaches; not something he needs going forward. He will also have a tough task asking the S15 coaches to rest key players leading up to the Test series.
If Meyer is looking at a temporary solution for the England series, then I feel he may be onto something by asking a few of the old guys and some of the overseas based guys to fill in. He needs to get over the first hurdle, and this might be worth the risk. Matfield, Fourie, Du Preez, F Steyn, Bakkies, Pienaar, etc; regardless if they start or come in from the bench, will make Meyers first series in charge a little easier. It also means he doesn't have to handout new Springbok caps to young guys he might not feel are ready, and then throwing them into the deep-end; it would be disaster if one of the young guns were to fail in the series and never be picked again. Let's give Meyer a chance to do things his way.”
– Michael James“Meyer seems to be a bigger "ass" than De Villiers ever was ...”
– Danny Moss
“I don't believe it, Meyer needs to build for the future, I am sure he will.”
- David BorlandRoad to London Gideon Sam
Graeme Joffe chats to SASCOC president Gideon Sam regarding the SA Olympic kit, the team announcement date and mascot.“It seems like SASCOC is not really Proudly South African... What a shame...”
– Willie Breedt“Shameful, shameful. Check for kickbacks, in about 1 year from now. Gideon probably diriving a brand new Chinese made car as we speak...”
– Richard Russman
“Absolutely shocking - yeah watch for the kick back wrapped in yellow paper!!!”
– John AllenCrusaders see off Stormers
The Crusaders have defeated the Stormers in their Super Rugby clash in
Christchurch, ending the Cape outfit's six-game unbeaten run.
"How the mighty have fallen!”
– Paul Botha“Hardly a fall from grace. That was the toughest game they could get all year. Yet they still managed a bonus point with injuries playing a part...losing both locks inside the first 20 minutes!”
“And so the Stormers lose to the same team we defeated last weekend! Now just sit back relax and let the Bulls show u guys how it’s done when we thrash the Lions later!!!”
– Hendrik James Cleophas
“If you want to beat Stormers take their big men out which the Crudaders succeeded in doing.”
– Camiel Phillips“The season has a very long way to go yet. The Stormers did well considering the key injuries so early in the game. I only hope the injuries on the Stormers side are not too serious, and they are able to pick up the pieces and rise to defeat the Reds next week.”
– Michael James
Read News24’s Comments Policy
The honeymoon is over
I’m fresh off the plane from a great time on honeymoon in Mauritius, and I’m ready to get back to...