Bok fans slam Div 'outburst'
Peter de Villiers (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - An overwhelming majority of Sport24 readers have reacted with anger and disappointment after former Springbok coach Peter de Villiers complained
that the current Springbok team is 'too white'.
VIDEO: Peter de Villiers' radio interviewCheck out Sport24's Facebook page or send us a Tweet.
Visit our MySport24 page and email your views, pictures and videos and any sport-related matter to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will hit the publish button!
Speaking to Ballz Radio
, De Villiers said that he felt that the team was losing the support of black South Africans due to talented players of colour being overlooked.
In the interview, De Villiers mentioned Gio Aplon, Juan de Jongh, Siya Kolisi, Elton Jantjies and Chilliboy Ralepelle as players he felt had not been given enough of a chance to shine in the green and gold.
This is what Sport24 readers had to say about his comments:
"How many player of no colour are there in Bafana Bafana? I still watch them!"
- Kendal Brown"We as supporters don't think about colour anymore until idiots bring it up again and make such statements. Choose a winning team!"
- Johanv.Niekerk"I'm not 100 percent happy with the team over all. I feel Aplon, Jantjies and a few others should to get a chance. But I'm so sick and tired of the 'racial quota' in rugby and cricket. No mention is ever made of the 'racial quota' in soccer."
- denizegbr"Whilst I agree that the players Peter refers too are good, unfortunately there are white players that are just as good, if not better, but are being wasted."
- Gratton Rush
"To a certain degree I agree with de Villiers. Gio Aplon deserved a call-up. Juan de Jongh is already in the squad, Chiliboy Ralepelle is injured. So who else is there, Pieter?"
- Abraham Wolfhaardt
"This really saddens me. When will we learn? When will we grow up? When will we grow? When will we get over this whole colour-issue?"
- Stephen Viviers
"I am indifferent to the racial composition of our national team. As a proud South African I believe that players must be selected solely on merit. (Including the staff and coach, jammer Divvie)."
- Werner Luitingh
"I feel De Villiers has sour grapes that he was not able to keep his job. Let us all stop the racism in the country. De Villiers must not now become a Julius Malema in Rugby. Let's heal the country, not break it down."
- Gerald Arlow
"We must pick the best, this is rugby not politics. If Div was the best then he would still be the coach."
- Roelof Barnard
"I think the only colour any South African sees on the field is green and gold."
- Madscientist.mad.1"There is only one colour and that is a winning colour! Green."
- Chris Van der Linde"As a coloured person, I hate the quota system because it adds extra pressure on black players when people know that they are not there purely on merit."
"Divvie is right, there are too many players of one colour in this team...blue. Drop those Blue Bull quotas...Morne Steyn, Dean Greyling etc."
- GR"It's not about black or white, they just SUCK!"
"And the race card marches on...is it really 18 years since '94? Sigh..."
"For the record Mr de Villiers, Div In your last game in charge of the Bokke, you played JP Pietersen, Bryan Habana and Guthro Steenkamp with Gio Aplon on the bench."
- marius.strydom.5Peter de Villiers (Gallo Images)