Blue-blinkers on the Boks?
Heyneke Meyer (Gallo Images)
Perth - According to the majority of Sport24 readers, Springbok coach Heyneke Meyer
has sent out a clear message with his selection policy: If you don't perform you will be dropped - unless you're a Blue Bull...
Lwazi Mvovo, Andries Bekker
and Keegan Daniel
have all felt the wrath of Heyneke Meyer
's axe after some indifferent performances in the Bok jersey, while Francois Hougaard
, Morné Steyn and Zane Kirchner have been given another chance to shine.
Jacques Potgieter was the one notable exception, as the blindside flank dropped out of the match 22 entirely after failing to make an impact against Argentina in the 16-all draw in Mendoza.
Here's what Sport24 readers had to say about Meyer's team to face the Wallabies:
"Mvovu is a way better wing than Hougaard."
- Kenny van Rensburg"Guess who will sit on the bench without a game – for the third time in a row. if Heyneke has no faith in Patrick Lambie, tell him so he can get on with his career. A gifted player being left to wither. Not good."
- Milner x Erlank
"My thoughts would be to play Pat Lambie at fullback who is a more dynamic and consistent performer as well as a mature player in that position. As soon as Zane puts on the Springbok Jersey he seems to be overwhelmed and un settled, whereas Pat is comfortable and settled."
- Gary Denham
"Not a bad team. Just don`t know why HM is so into Zane and Flip. They are NOT Bok material!"
"If Bekker gets drop from the match 22 for such a horrific performance
against Argentina, then why the hell is Morne Steyn still there.
Kirchner as well."
- Alex Radford
"Ruan at scrummie is going to change Morne Steyn's performance, as Ruan has a quicker pass."
- Zane Blignaut"I think that Bekker deserved to be dropped after a poor performance, but
it is the continued presence of Morne Steyn that is driving me nuts.
What the hell does Lambie still need to do to get a chance?"
- TravieGrif"Looks like Bekker is bearing the brunt for the last performance."
"I think Mvovo has been really unlucky to lose his place to Hougaard. I
think that it is poor management and giving Hougaard more chances than
he deserves. Mvovo looked dangerous every time he attacked, and yet he
is dropped to the bench, where Hougaard, who is arguably one of the most
devastating impact players in the world starts. I would swap those two
and give Mvovo the start."
- TG"Look, I have to agree with Bekker getting dropped. This is the national
side and no place to find form. Which brings me to the double standards
of why first Spies before his injury and now Morne are being given so
many chances? Consistency is all I ask."
"Very happy about Duane's selection but why, oh why Flip van der Merwe?"
- lionell.kemm9"But Bekker would've been better off the bench. What totally out of the 22, and to be replaced by Flippie, nogal?"
- sulaiman.galant7"What 'favours' did Two-step Hougaard do for Heineken? He is useless,
even at wing. And Turnstile Steyn? Kruger? Kirchner? Heineken, is that
blou bril of yours letting any light through?"
- chris.in.oz1"How can Bekker be the fall guy for a poor team performance that starter in the 21st minute vs England and continued ever since."
- caravan.bulls"HM is rewarding the poor form of his Bulls buddies while dropping
non-Bulls at will! Kirchner? Morne? Flip? This has to be a joke! HM
rewards his Bulls mates while leaving talented players like Lambie and
Mvovo on the bench. I'm losing all respect for this guy. He seems just
as clueless as Divvy..."
Is Heyneke Meyer playing favourites, or is it the fans' provincialism that is causing them to criticise the Springbok coach? (Getty)
HAVE YOUR SAY:
South Africa coach Heyneke Meyer
has named his team to play Australia in the Rugby
Championship clash in Perth. What do you think of his selection? Send your thoughts to Sport24
Read News24’s Comments Policy
Moyes must pass Toon test
A night of football, which has been described in one newspaper as ‘Wild Wednesday’, unfolded across...