All uphill for the Kings
Luke Watson (Gallo Images)
Cape Town - Although most Sport24 readers feel that they will struggle to keep winning, some feel the Kings have already exceeded expectations.
The Kings had a dream debut
in the Super Rugby competition when they began with a 22-10 win over the Force at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium.
In beating the Force, the Kings achieved where the Lions failed in 2012 (the Force beat the Lions 17-11 in Perth), although the Force have lost a few key players (David Pocock and Nathan Sharpe) since last season.
Some critics had boldly predicted that the Kings would fail to win a single game this season and set records in points conceded.
The Kings still have a way to go to prove to their critics that they have what it takes in the competition: the Lions, for example, managed three wins last season against the Cheetahs, Rebels and Sharks.
The Kings have already eclipsed the Lions' 2010 season, and the Bulls' 2002 season in Super Rugby where the two sides failed to win a single game.
Despite their win over the Force, many people still believe they have a long and difficult season ahead of them, and that another win in Super Rugby is unlikely.
Here's what Sport24 readers had to say about the Kings' win:
"Well done for the win, I didn't predict it. However, the Force are hopelessly rubbish so it will only get much more difficult."
- David Scott Duncan
"That's the wooden spoon right there. congrats Kings."
"Let me be first to congratulate the Kings on beating the worst other side in Super rugby. However, one match does not a season make..."
- Squeegee Pilot
"I was one of the people that wrote you off before the season started. You will likely still face tough times, but this is an excellent start."
- Pagel"Here's a fun fact for all the Lions supporters, the last time you played the Force you lost 17 -11. The Kings just beat them... Best part is in 2011 they lost against the Force as well with 15 -27."
"Even though the Force are rubbish, they are still a settled side who have been in the competition for a while now. This is a patched together Kings side in their first ever game, so they ought to be commended for their win. Rebels will be a little worried now."
- DSD"I disagree with the politics but also found I could not support an Aussie team over the Kings."
- craven.luyt"To the Lions supporters that predicted the Kings to be the laughing stock...who leads the SA Conference?"
- godfrey welman"Hail to the Kings and you proof that you belong. Still lots of hard work ahead but we believe in you and I for one know that you will prevail against all odds."
- frank.gerald"The Kings beat the worst team in the competition. Well done."
- john.s.borges"Wow, great stuff by the Kings. They actually won a Super Rugby game, something the Lions and Cheetahs don't do too often."
- jefferey stokes"Watch next week what the Bulls do to the Force."
"The Lions also won their first game last year, wait and see, it's still a very long season."
The Kings celebrate victory over the Force. (Gallo Images)Have your say: Did the Kings victory over the Force justify their Super Rugby inclusion, or was it a case of first-time lucky? Send your thoughts to Sport24.